Sr. Counsel, Privacy and Data Strategy
Full Time Job
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
WarnerMedia is a powerful portfolio of iconic entertainment, news, and sports brands. We bring people, technology, and the world's best storytellers together to drive culture and meaningful connection. We believe the enduring power of stories can open our eyes to the world, to each other, and to new and different perspectives.
Join us. Shape your story here.
WarnerMedia (WM) is committed to protect, respect and secure the personal data of our consumers, staff, and partners in a way that does not distract from the experiences that our consumers love about WM's impressive family of brands (HBO, CNN, Harry Potter, Cartoon Network, DC Comics) and our incredible theatrical, television, and game-related offerings.
The Privacy & Data Strategy Center of Expertise (COE) brings together a global team of legal, privacy, and technology professionals to drive WarnerMedia's consumer-first global privacy strategy. The work of the COE helps WarnerMedia's 30,000+ employees and staff comply with privacy-related legal requirements, provide personalized and innovative consumer experiences that meet business goals and build consumer trust by offering transparency, control, and optionality around how data is used.
We are seeking a Senior Counsel, Privacy and Data Strategy to advise business executives and technology stakeholders on a range of privacy issues, including counseling on how to comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California consumer privacy laws (CCPA, CPRA), video privacy (VPPA), children's privacy (COPPA, AADC), marketing (CAN-SPAM, TCPA), and ad tech (NAI, DAA, IAB) and other new and emerging laws in the US and globally.
• You will help lead and drive privacy and data-related compliance issues across the consumer-facing business.
• You will work closely with business and legal stakeholders to understand digital technology and data flows, help design remediation solutions that align with legal requirements, company standards, and business goals, provide product and legal counseling, and conduct privacy impact assessments.
• You will be responsible for analyzing, drafting, reviewing, and ensuring compliance with privacy policies, standards, checklists, presentations, and detailed subject matter guidance documents.
• You will draft and negotiate data and privacy-related terms in complex agreements related to vendor services, research, marketing, digital advertising, transfer of data, use of data, security, etc.
• You will work with both our consumer privacy and our enterprise privacy teams to assist as needed with projects and agreements that impact our employee, productions, our talent, and our digital properties.
• You will also collaborate with our Privacy Compliance Operations & Projects team to help drive compliance initiatives including privacy by design across all of WarnerMedia.
• Location: Burbank, CA; New York, NY; or Atlanta, GA
• JD or LLM
• Member of a State Bar in good standing and capable of registering as in-house counsel.
• Minimum 6-10 years' experience in consumer privacy, product counseling, digital advertising, analytics, and other consumer privacy topics, data governance, and employee privacy issues.
• Excellent negotiating and drafting skills for complex agreements.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to think, write, and act strategically, practically, and collaboratively.
• Ability to thrive and take initiative in a fast-paced environment.
Bonus points for?
• A combination of in-house and private practice experience.
• Knowledge of the entertainment industry.
• Knowledge of international privacy laws.
• Knowledge of targeted marketing of consumers using their data and/or deidentified data.
• Digital and/or consumer-facing product counseling experience.
• Technology, computer science, engineering background, and/or experience working closely with engineers to define technical requirements or implement privacy program requirements.
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.