Senior Tools & Devops Programmer
Warner Bros.London, US
Full Time Job
Location: United Kingdom - London
Rocksteady Studios is looking to add to its family of permanent staff. We are looking for an exceptionally talented Senior Tools & Dev Ops Programmer, ready for the challenge of producing AAA games, to join our Dev Ops team.
Rocksteady is in full production of Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, the next blockbuster AAA title from the studio behind the world-renowned Batman: Arkham series.
The Dev Ops team is responsible for how Rocksteady makes games!
We integrate new versions of the Unreal Engine and coordinate the upgrade process with the Core Engine, Rendering, AI and Art teams. The Dev Ops go/no-go process gates release of these updates to our 200 person dev team in the UK, and hundreds of development partners around the globe.
We oversee source control in cooperation with IT, managing all branches and the branching strategy to keep the codebase stable. We own the integration process for development and release streams, providing tools and expertise to assist all teams with merging their changes between branches, and advising Production with risk assessments of latecomer changes for milestone builds.
We establish the development process for each target platform, and continually refine our tooling to improve developer efficiency. With head revision syncs in the hundreds of GB, and supporting devs working from home with temperamental internet connections, this is a particularly interesting challenge.
We manage the build farm – the beating heart of the studio. This houses a vast array of mission critical jobs, from 100 GB playtest builds multiple times per day for QA, to game Editor releases several times per hour for Design, to rapid turnaround continuous compilation jobs every few minutes for Code – all requiring vigilant monitoring, and judicious scheduling to achieve maximum development velocity.
And there's always more! Cloud-based crash reporting pipeline, metrics gathering, new tools, scripts and automations, hardware budgets and upgrade plans, supporting individual team members – Dev Ops is always on the lookout for new technologies, and new talent, with the potential to transform how we work at Rocksteady!
• Develop scripts for our TeamCity automated build system and related processes optimising use of our available bandwidth
• Develop C# tools and Python scripts to assist in maintaining our project release branches in source control (in co-operation with Dev Ops Build Manager and Infrastructure Engineers)
• Develop tools to efficiently support post-launch release schedule (including build preparation, crash report systems, log aggregation and development metrics).
Beneficial Skills & Experience
• Strong understanding of Python, C#, or other scripting language
• Good understanding of C and writing portable code
• Practical experience with Qt or similar UI framework
• Practical experience with TeamCity, or similar CI/CD pipelines
• Practical experience with Perforce, or similar version control system
• Experience with Unreal Engine an advantage
• An understanding of developing for the main gaming platforms an advantage.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• A positive, active, and contributing team member
• To be proactive and helpful to the wider team with ad-hoc problem solving
• To be able to work independently: organised, with good time management skills and appropriate prioritisation of tasks
• An enthusiasm for improving all aspects of software engineering with better tools and practical solutions
• A passion for games on all platforms.