Lead Level Designer
Full Time Job
Location: Carlsbad, California, United States of America
WarnerMedia is a powerful portfolio of iconic entertainment, news, and sports brands. We bring people, technology, and the world's best storytellers together to drive culture and meaningful connection. We believe the enduring power of stories can open our eyes to the world, to each other, and to new and different perspectives.
Warner Bros. Games San Diego is creating the next generation of high quality, cross-platform games that bring iconic and beloved characters to life. Join our growing team of talented game makers and be a foundational part of a dynamic new studio as we strive to make an impact on the future of AAA free-to-play games.
Join us. Shape your story here.
WB Games San Diego is looking for a Lead Level Designer to helm the design of exciting, innovative, and balanced multiplayer levels for an upcoming AAA action game.
• Work closely with the design team and creative leaders on level designs
• Design, greybox, and distill rules for exciting, innovative, and balanced multiplayer levels
• Continually iterate and test level designs against player move set, combat abilities, and player skill level (through audience testing)
• Extract and integrate aspects of iconic locations into gameplay set pieces
• Create replayable moments that are fun the first and five thousandth time
• Introduce variability to a mostly static map
• Work closely with environment artists to develop and deliver against the product vision
• Establish level design pipeline & methodology as the founding member of the level design team
• Actively share knowledge within area of expertise and influence other related disciplines
• Be the voice for level design in cross discipline conversations and planning
• Mentor and advise other designers in level design process and best practices
• Assess new market trends, features, technologies and emerging techniques to stay competitive
• Work closely with production to manage development schedules, bug tracking, studio initiatives, and overall team health and morale
• Strong knowledge of level design principles, theories, and contemporary game trends
• Great writing, presenting, and team communication a must
• Well versed in all aspects of level design including documentation, greyboxing, and implementing interactive objects
• Understanding of landmarks, lighting, and silhouettes
• History of effective use of 3rd person cameras, sightlines, open vs constrained spaces, asymmetric multiplayer maps, and balanced player cognitive load
• Experience with dynamic level layouts and fair hazards in a PvP environment
• 8+ years of experience
• Shipped at least 4 AAA products on console or PC (1 in a leadership role)
• Solid understanding of UE4 and Blueprint
• Effectively communicate level design direction, requirements, and deliverables
• Art, programming, or audio skills a plus
• A deep love of video games
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.