Director, Business Affairs
Warner Bros.Burbank, CA
Full Time Job
Location: United States - California - Burbank
E.C. Publications, Inc. seeks a Director, Business Affairs for the Business Affairs department.
Key lead on DC's Business Affairs team managing deal negotiations and partnerships in support of DC's publishing and media strategic initiatives.
• Work closely with DC Business Development to identify strategic opportunities for growth of the DC publishing business globally, and the DC brand overall. Manage structuring and negotiation of partnership agreements, talent agreements and other vendor agreements with support from Finance and Legal departments in support of growth opportunities.
Talent / Creator
• Negotiate and manage key comic book artist and writer deals, including Exclusive Deals, Creator-Owned Publishing Arrangements, Character Equity Agreements, etc.
• In partnership with Editorial Strategy & Administration / Business Planning, analyze current creator compensation & other remuneration models, and make recommendations relating to the type and structure of talent deal offerings that reinforce DC's business strategy and DC's objective of being the top destination for creative talent.
Publishing Content Production
• Develop alternative business models and partnership structures for development and creation of custom comics produced for third parties, non-traditional comic book content, and marketing initiatives (including, for example, brand partnerships, and/or projects that combine DC characters with third party IP), in support of publishing business.
Media / Merchandise
• Working with DC Creative Affairs, negotiate and manage licensing of media rights to DC's extensive and growing library of intellectual property, including film, television, direct-to-video, animation, video game, and merchandising.
• Research and evaluate commercial terms of media and merchandise licenses and negotiation processes considering current market conditions and company strategic initiatives; propose competitive arrangements that reinforce DC's applicable business strategies and objectives
Other Deals / Special Projects
• Support all other areas of DC in negotiating commercial terms in support of business operations, such as with print partners, marketing agencies, consultants, etc.
• Minimum 5-7 years of experience in Business and/or Legal Affairs, or Business Development required - negotiating commercial terms with key business partners in support of strategic objectives.
• Relevant entertainment and/or publishing industry experience, and/or digital product experience required.
• Law firm, consulting and/or digital business development experience a plus.
• BA/BS degree required
• JD and/or MBA preferred
• Effective & proven negotiation / communication skills; ability to adapt communication style. to work well with people who don't share the same style/approach.
• Capable of building / maintaining strong relationships with business partners.
• Sound judgment with ability to balance risk / reward in deal making.
• Awareness / understanding of business strategies & priorities.
• Able to supervise, motivate & evaluate subordinates.
• Demonstrate intellectual curiosity about new and unknown topics/businesses/ideas.
• Proactive and ambitious, seeking out opportunities to move work forward and get work done.
• Must have the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with persons on all levels, in person and on the telephone
• Must have the ability to pay close attention to detail and understand written and oral instructions
• Must have the ability to organize and schedule work effectively
• Must have the ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
• Must be able to work independently and meet deadlines
Management has the right to add or change duties and job requirements at any time.
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.