Operations Resource Supervisor
Walt Disney TelevisionHouston, TX
Full Time Job
The Operations Resource Supervisor will work with teammates to support a 24 hour / 7 day a week media network operation. Their primary responsibility will be to schedule appropriate operational personnel and resources needed for the execution of Disney Media Networks. This will include Disney Channel Networks, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic Networks and ABC Television Network and all related streaming networks. The Operations Resource Supervisor should be familiar with many aspects of television operations. A successful candidate in this role must be able to collaboratively supervise a plan the scheduling of a large scale operation while being able to prioritize tasks and requests.
• Oversight of network origination resource and labor scheduling in a 24/7 environment.
• Labor planning elements:
• Schedule 24/7 operations staff including management of vacation requests and sick calls
• Increase or reduce staff as appropriate to meet business needs and events scheduled to air on our networks
• Plan for operational needs taking into account event requirements, maintenance and other factors; schedule and instruct operations accordingly on what equipment / rooms and resources are to be used during each day / event
• Transmission and feed planning elements:
• Distribution Patterns, and Sectional and Regional Feeds to all time zones
• Source, time, satellite service, program content, etc.
• Regional commercial activity resulting from pre-planned regional feed disruptions, regional sports manipulation, unique feed patterns, and limited net paths
• Feed pattern changes (e.g., presidential addresses, awards shows, New Year's Eve programming, etc.) or react to special report stop-and-starts, unplanned program run over, and live sports activity
• Program feed changes for regional feeds and clearance changes (e.g., morning news pattern changes), special program offerings (e.g., Ten Commandments)
• Produce a detailed list of daily trafficking changes to the Operations and DTCI Transmissions department for internal routing instructions
• Auxiliary bookings using Network Distribution for Promos, News Inserts, Two-way interviews, Net returns for Live Special events
• Contribution and Remote planning elements:
• Planning transmission (including video compression and audio encoding) from remote sites for Sports and Entertainment – live events, Sports, special events, satellite trucks and satellite transponder space, common carrier, etc.
• Estimate costs of and reserve outside providers (uplink trucks, fiber etc.)
• Prepare orders in Scheduling System and confirm and provide work orders to outside providers
• Coordinate with production and technical personnel including weekly sports meeting to review each weekends plans
• Order and obtain phone lines and/or high-speed internet connections for remotes where required
• Event logistics support, schedule and coordinate pre-testing, special needs, special parameters, Company ''Town Hall'' event support, coordinate special service installation example Jimmy Kimmel in Brooklyn requires a 30-day Verizon Circuit install Brooklyn to ABC NY Plant for live production week
• Attend Operations and Production meetings for all Live Events to plan and coordinate Transmission and/or Distribution requirements
• Daily communication with our transmission and engineering partners concerning updates, issues and upcoming plans
• Build and maintain high quality relationships with all internal & external partners
• Work constructively and respectfully with fellow team and department members to achieve a common goal while always upholding the values of The Walt Disney Company
• Provide input for the implementation of technological upgrades and projects furthering the vision of the Facility
• A minimum of at 2 years' experience in live television
• Basic television operations or engineering background
• Basic knowledge of television equipment that will include:
• Video Routers and Switchers
• Graphics Devices
• Standards and Practices Delays
• Communication Panels
• Closed Caption and Video Data Encoders
• Understanding of video formats (SD, HD, UHD, HD-HDR and video and audio standards (SMPTE)
• Some understanding of traditional video encoding and decoding (ASI) as well as newer standards of compressed and uncompressed IP video transport (SMPTE 2022, SMPTE 2110, HLS, MPEG-TS via multicast, RTMP, DASH)
• Basic understanding of editing software functions
• Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office (esp. Outlook and Excel)
• Strong planning and organizational skills
• Excellent communication skills; must be able to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
• Strong interest in current industry technologies and developments
• Labor and resource scheduling experience a plus
• Experience with Xytech Mediapulse
• Strong interest in current industry technologies and developments.
• Familiarity with streaming media platforms (e.g., Netflix, Fire TV, Hulu, etc.)
• Understanding of basic file systems and transfer protocols
About Media Networks:
The Media Networks segment includes cable and broadcast television networks, television production and distribution operations, publishing, domestic television stations, digital businesses and radio networks and stations.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC Cable Networks Group, which is part of a business segment we call Media Networks.
ABC Cable Networks Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.