Network Origination Supervisor
Walt Disney TelevisionThe Woodlands, TX
Full Time Job
The Network Origination Supervisor will work rotational shifts to support 24 hour / 7 day a week media network operation and ensure that all network feeds are aired as scheduled. Their primary responsibility will be to provide oversight, administration and support of the control of the Disney Media Networks and their underlying systems while maintaining a close partnership with internal teams such as Marketing, Programming, Media Operations and Traffic. This may include Disney Cable, FX, National Geographic, ABC Television and related streaming networks. The Supervisor, in conjunction with the operations Managers, are the front line of decision making affecting the on-air product. The origination supervisors oversee the day-to-day tasks of our operation to assure all business needs are being met while protecting our high standard of quality and content being released out to the public.
The Network Origination Supervisor should be an expert in network origination functions as well as serve as the primary conduit to internal business teams, management and network affiliates in regards to the on-air product. The Network Origination Supervisor will oversee and ensure operations duties (such as log preparation, playout, monitoring / responding to playout issues, routing control and change requests) are being met. All business requests and instructions (emails, log changes and other communications) to the operations team should pass through the Supervisor. Additionally, the Supervisor should control communications between the network and affiliates and serve as their primary point of contact for all issues. A successful candidate in this role must be able to maintain a high level attention to detail across several streams and systems while being able to prioritize tasks and requests.
• Direct oversight and guidance of network origination operations including control and monitoring of systems, administrative duties and communications with supporting departments to ensure all networks are airing as instructed
• Ownership of impact and risk assessment of program release
• Supervisor must be very thoughtful and detail oriented as the position will be in charge of making on-air critical decisions
• Effectively interpret and implement various network policies and procedures during critical situations, including ensuring all rules and regulations pertaining to legal requirements, standards and practices are being met
• Support internal and external business customer requests and assure they are executed
• Support affiliate needs be responding to and routing incoming requests and inquiries, including providing them with program formats, timings and necessary instructions during breaking News events, Sports and all live programming
• Monitor and identify components and quality of the on-air product. This includes measurement of and validation of signal components such as closed captioning, V-Chip, format ratio, graphical placement, and SAP/DVS
• Identify and resolve timing issues that arise from live to air events and other various factors. This includes calculating timing needs, making on the fly content decisions and giving direction to team members and other production related personnel to ensure all necessary content is airing as planned while maintaining a seamless experience for the end viewer
• Ensure correct and formatted information is in the automation system in sufficient time prior to air
• Create and manipulate automation playlists during live and taped events
• Ensure timely delivery of programs and efficiently handle last minute changes to the system
• Coordinate with the Network break studios for possible commercial make goods at the conclusion of special event activity. In addition, coordinate with News and Network break studios for proper program rejoins following special report activity
• Maintain recovery expectations via the ability to analyze and recover quickly from emergent issues in high pressure situations to minimize revenue loss
• Express technical and operational issues clearly to support, engineering and management through well written reports
• Provide feedback to management that directly affects the formulation of Standard Operating Procedures
• Flexibility to work all shifts composing a 24/7 day including swing shifts, overnights, weekends, holidays and special events
• Work constructively and respectfully with fellow team and department members to achieve a common goal while always upholding the values of The Walt Disney Company
• Provide input for the implementation of technological upgrades and projects furthering the vision of the Facility
• 2 years' experience in television operations
• Must be able to understand and calculate timecode quickly and effectively
• Strong knowledge of television network operations that may include traffic planning and timing calculation, automation systems, signal flow, measurement tools and signal elements
• Understanding of basic video formats (SD, HD, UHD, HD-HDR) and video and audio standards (SMPTE)
• Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office (esp. Outlook and Excel)
• Proactive problem-solving and critical thinking skills
• Ability to analyze issues and communicate quickly and effectively response plans and instructions to team members
• Must be self-motivated, organized and communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
• Experience with playout automation systems
• Advanced understanding of video routing systems and analysis tools (waveform monitors, rasterizers and audio meters)
• Basic knowledge of live acquisition and remote workflows for live events and linear channels
• Strong interest in current industry technologies and developments
• Familiarity with streaming media platforms (e.g., Netflix, Fire TV, Hulu, etc.)
Bachelor's degree or certificate in a field related to media, broadcast, engineering, communications OR equivalent work experience
About Media Networks:
The Media Networks segment includes cable and broadcast television networks, television production and distribution operations, publishing, domestic television stations, digital businesses and radio networks and stations.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC Cable Networks Group, which is part of a business segment we call Media Networks.
ABC Cable Networks Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.