Network Origination Manager
Walt Disney TelevisionThe Woodlands, TX
Full Time Job
The Network Origination Manager will support 24 hour / 7 day a week media networks. Their primary responsibility will be to lead a team in the execution of Disney Media Networks origination while maintaining a close partnership with internal teams such as Marketing, Programming, Media Operations and Traffic. This will include Disney Channel Networks, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic Networks, and ABC Television Network and all related streaming networks.
The Manager should be familiar with all aspects of television operations. Along with the supervisors, the Managers will control communications between the network and affiliates and serve as a point of contact for all issues. A successful candidate in this role must be able to maintain a high level attention to detail across several streams and systems while being able to prioritize tasks and requests. Strong leadership qualities are required as the Manager, in conjunction with the Supervisor, will be responsible for all decision making processes affecting the on-air product and will have interaction with all levels of Management. Must be able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
The Manager will have approximately eight direct reports, including operators and supervisors.
• Oversight of all network origination on the day of air in a 24/7environment, working rotational shifts, and ensuring that all network feeds are aired as scheduled
• Ownership of impact and risk assessment of program release; Must be very thoughtful and detail oriented as the Manager will be in charge of making on-air critical decisions
• Lead and develop a strong, high functioning team that is able to effectively and efficiently execute assignments
• Effectively apply and enforce various network policies and procedures during critical situations including ensuring all rules and regulations pertaining to legal requirements, standards and practices are being met
• Ensure timely delivery of programs and to efficiently handle last minute changes to the system
• Daily communication with our affiliated stations providing them with program formats, timings and necessary instructions during breaking News events, Sports and all live programming
• In coordination with Live Studios and News, provide guidance on the resolution of timing issues that arise from live to air events and other various factors. This includes calculating timing needs, making on the fly content decisions and giving direction to team members and other production related personnel to ensure all necessary content is airing as planned while maintaining a seamless experience for the end viewer
• Interaction with Sales, On-Air Promotions and respective dayparts to ensure a flawless delivery of our programming
• Will work closely with fellow Operations Managers and Supervisors to ensure accurate production of the daily automation lists
• Author Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and document department processes; seek opportunities to improve existing processes
• Conduct ad-hoc analyses to support operational/technology decision making and special projects
• Provide opportunities for skill development and technical training for team members as technology, workflows and best business practices constantly evolve
• Mentor team members and create an environment that encourages personal and departmental growth
• Build and maintain high quality relationships with all internal & external partners
• Maintain recovery expectations via the ability to analyze and recover quickly from emergent issues in high pressure situations to minimize revenue loss
• Express technical and operational issues clearly to support, engineering and management through well written reports
• Flexibility to work all shifts composing a 24/7 day; this would include overnights, weekends, holidays and special events
• Work constructively and respectfully with fellow team and department members to achieve a common goal while always upholding the values of The Walt Disney Company
• Provide input for the implementation of technological upgrades and projects furthering the vision of the Facility
• 4 years' experience in television operations
• Strong knowledge of television network operations that may include traffic planning and timing calculation, automation systems, signal flow, measurement tools and signal elements
• Must be able to understand and calculate timecode quickly and effectively
• Experience with playout automation systems
• Strong knowledge of live acquisition and remote workflows for live events and linear channels
• Basic understanding of video routing systems and analysis tools (waveform monitors, rasterizers and audio meters)
• Understanding of basic video formats (SD, HD, UHD, HD-HDR) and video and audio standards (SMPTE)
• Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office (esp. Outlook and Excel)
• Must work well with little or no supervision and have a strong attention to detail
• Proactive problem-solving and critical thinking skills
• Must be a team player with excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
• Ability to analyze issues and communicate quickly and effectively response plans and instructions to team members
• Must be self-motivated, organized and communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
• Strong management skills with the ability to effectively lead a team
• Strong interest in current industry technologies and developments
• Familiarity with streaming media platforms (e.g., Netflix, Fire TV, Hulu, etc.)
• Record of leadership success
Bachelor's degree or certificate in a field related to media, broadcast, engineering, communications OR equivalent work experience
About Media Networks:
The Media Networks segment includes cable and broadcast television networks, television production and distribution operations, publishing, domestic television stations, digital businesses and radio networks and stations.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC Cable Networks Group, which is part of a business segment we call Media Networks.
ABC Cable Networks Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.