Summer Paid Intern - Research Walt Disney Studios
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Paid Internship
Research Intern (ML & AI) - Walt Disney Studios - Summer 2022
The Walt Disney Studios is composed of large teams of creative professionals who produce and acquire live-action, and animated motion pictures, direct-to-video content, musical recordings, and live stage plays that tell memorable, life-changing stories. Few media and entertainment companies can rival the brands we have the honor of bringing to the world.
As part of the Studio Technology team, you'll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of creative problems in innovative ways within an exciting and dynamic industry.
We are looking for a Research Intern: Machine Learning to join our StudioLAB team: someone who wants to shape the next generation of creative and production technology and directly help drive innovation across our cinematic pipelines. The Research Intern will help StudioLAB's artificial intelligence research leads advance and improve the way we tell stories and make movies today and develop new opportunities to create Disney magic tomorrow.
The Research Intern: Machine Learning's role is to help design, engineer, and implement advanced machine learning tools, platforms, and systems focused on any and all points of the movie-making pipeline, from pre-production, production, and post-production to experience. They will develop and install prototypes and proof of concepts that explore core concepts and ideas, orchestrate demonstrations of said projects, and communicate innovation projects, concepts, and new technologies to visitors and stakeholders.
To be successful in this role, you must be innovative, a quick learner, curious, and have a good understanding of the key machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies that will drive and advance the ideation, production, and presentation of Disney content and experiences. You need to have solid communication abilities and work well independently as well as in complex cross-functional, remote-first teams. Being flexible and working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment is key.
Key Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
• Drive and help realize the design and development of advanced machine learning tools, systems, and applications
• Work with our AI Leads to help design and develop innovation projects in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Technical and Operational Skills:
The ideal candidate will have familiarity and experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Statistical machine learning
• Deep learning/neural networks
• Computer vision, image processing & generation
• Natural language processing & generation
• Deep learning for volumetric & 3D modeling and capture
• Hands-on experience with Python, C
• Familiarity and experience with deep learning toolkits such as Pytorch and Keras/Tensorflow
• Familiarity and experience with VR, AR, mobile, and game engine platforms are a plus
• In progress towards a Master's or Ph.D. Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field is preferred
• Comfortable in a high-speed environment, working to ship prototypes and features on quick timelines
• Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication skills – written and oral
• Capable of independent research but not afraid to ask questions and get help
Currently enrolled undergraduate student studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or related field at an accredited college/university and returning to school following the internship.
Currently enrolled graduate student studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or related field at an accredited college/university and returning to school following the internship.
• At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must provide full work availability
• Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May/June - August/September 2022. Interns must be fully available for the duration of a 12-week assignment.
• Please note, the safety and well-being of our teams is very important to us. Based on government recommendations, we will determine whether this program will be in-person at our Burbank, CA studio or virtual in the coming months.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.