Studio Communications Manager
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Studio Communications team manages internal, external and executive communications, public affairs, and public relations for Disney Studios Content, which encompasses the Disney (live action), Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures production groups, Disney Theatrical Group, and shared service teams that operate across these brands.
The Studio Communications Manager will serve as a key member of the Studio Communications team with responsibilities across external and internal communications, as well as social responsibility and cause marketing. The role requires strategic thinking, outstanding organization and planning, and a strong ability to collaborate and communicate with internal, cross-functional teams and stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional communicator and enjoy working on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Respond to incoming press inquiries and serve as a primary Studio point of contact with key journalists
• Maintain media contacts with trade, national & local print and online outlets
• Keep current on and assist in tracking relevant industry, economic, and governmental issues that could impact the Studio's business, position, or messaging; monitor media and issues and communicate updates to senior leadership
• Work with the VPs to develop a variety of messaging from formal press releases to background talking points; create and distribute press materials, statements and FAQs
• Oversee editorial calendar for both external (trade features) and internal audiences
• Curate and produce content for internal Studio news vehicles (newsletters, etc.)
• Serve as Studio Communications point person for internal Disney outlets (Newsreel/TWDC blog/D23), and review and approve IP usage requests
• Help develop communications strategy and identify storytelling opportunities (including video) for social impact and DEI initiatives, including pitching to press
• Help build and execute cause marketing initiatives as well as attend monthly cause marketing meetings
• Assist with incoming cause marketing requests by reviewing and providing initial feedback
• Assist with curating and distributing news coverage
• Assist with and occasionally host internal Studio events
• 5 years of relevant experience
• Ability to work with journalists and facilitate media relations, including handling press calls and responding to media inquiries
• Deep understanding of the communications field; excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong knowledge about the Walt Disney Company and/or the film industry
• Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, manage multiple demands, think strategically and solve problems
• Proven ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others across a matrixed organization; highly professional demeanor and diplomatic skills; ability to create effective partnerships at all levels of the organization
• Demonstrated analytical processing, critical-thinking, decision-making and follow-through skills
• Ability to assess and refine strategies and tactics to better align with changing business strategies
Bachelor's degree in Communications or related field
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.