Staff Media Systems Engineer
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
This was removed by the employer on 11/2/2020 10:50:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Search for Staff Media Systems Engineer jobs in Burbank-CA
Search all Staff Media Systems Engineer postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Staff Media Systems Engineer? Job Summary:
From movie concept to film production. Global premiere to direct to consumer mobile applications. You will innovate and deliver solutions that support a studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations.
We're looking for passionate engineers who love learning new technologies at a rapid pace. You should be intimately familiar with production systems. Lean, agile, self-sufficient teams is how we operate. We develop. You will be a part of the team that provides production tools and cutting-edge solutions for all of the studios under the Disney umbrella.
Your passion for engineering systems is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You take engineering for the business seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
• A master problem solver. You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically.
• Comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don't have all the details; you're comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
• Technically astute. You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information that often leaves others lost whether it's product, industry, or hard tech knowledge, you absorb it quickly and are ready for more.
• Goal oriented. You develop and actualize creative vision, mission, and strategy into a cohesive outcome through capable team management, tactical execution, and unrelenting focus on daily progress; you connect production demand and technology strategies to the solutions you deliver
• Design, and deploy film-maker systems, including 2K/4K playback systems, color timing systems, upscaling systems, etc
• Monitor, measure, and tune production systems for optimal performance and reliability
• Investigate, analyze, resolve and document hardware and software problems on a wide range of systems in several production and post production environments
• Design and deploy systems in production timelines with high availability, and clear observability
• Author tools, and leverage open source, to automate tasks with an emphasis on reliability and repeatability
• Serve as an escalation point to troubleshoot and resolve performance and reliability issues in production environments
• Lead and collaborate with engineers to ensure systems are designed to be scalable, and easily operated
• Ensure security best practice is at the forefront is embedded in our DNA and in all solutions provided
• Effective at dealing with change: Able to transition in role or handle a significant modification or technology with minimal ramp-up time and with very little guidance.
• Collaborate and communicate with others of varying technical acumen
Deep knowledge of:
• Operating systems and systems management (e.g. Linux, OSX, and Windows)
• Scripting and development languages, including Python, Ruby, PERL, PHP
• Playback systems used in visual effects, production and post production environments (e.g. Colorfront, Resolve, TweakRV, Clipster)
• Editorial systems and workflows (e.g. Premiere, Avid)
• Cloud Service Provider offerings and their use in Production and Post Production
• High performance storage solutions used in production (Quantum, Avid, DDN)
• High performance file systems used in production (StorNext, OneFS, GPFS)
• Data center, network, and show application architectures
• Media File Transport Solutions (e.g. Signiant, Aspera)
• Hosting virtualization technologies (e.g. VMWare, KVM, Public Cloud)
• Production Security Systems (e.g. key management, encryption, vulnerability management)
Desired practical experience:
• Management of high-performance media systems environment, requiring high levels of automation
• Experience working in Film or TV production environments
• Strong project management and resource planning experience
• IP networking including performance-based troubleshooting
• File System or hierarchical file system concepts
• Familiar with latest public cloud service offerings (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP)
• Exposure to system and infrastructure automation tools (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Terraform, Cloudformation)
• Operating systems and systems management (e.g. RHEL/CentOS, MacOS, Windows)
• Authentication tool-sets such as Active Directory, LDAP, Ping Identity, Centrify
• Data center, network, and application architectures
• Post Production (e.g. Editorial/VFX/Finishing) Pipelines / Workflows
• Create, update and maintain architectural and functional diagrams and documentation
Desired Personal Characteristics
• A generalist who can perform many different tasks.
• Able to comfortably multitask (i.e., perform multiple architecting tasks concurrently).
• Able to make important decisions given incomplete and conflicting knowledge.
• Highly self-directed, being able to both manage and (re)prioritize the multiple concurrent and competing challenges, issues, ambiguities, and contradictions that necessarily occur during the production of the database architecture and design.
• Strong analytical problem solving skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and thus able to explain and document the systems to their diverse audiences.
• A team-building leader with good interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
• 5 years in engineering or computer systems supporting Film/TV production
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally a
[more...] This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.