Sr. Network Engineer - Animation Studios
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Direct Reports: none
Work Location: Burbank, CA - must be willing to relocate
(relocation assistance provided)
At The Walt Disney Animation Studio, you will enjoy the diversity and challenges of working at various levels in the software stack, from compute to data management. Specifically, this position resides within the Platform Engineering team at Walt Disney Animation Studios. This team designs and builds the dynamic infrastructure to provide the foundation that bridges the hardware/software boundaries - from core infrastructure/network services to large-scale high performance compute systems.
In this role, you will partner with artists, production leadership, developers, other engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of the infrastructure services motivated by the needs of content production at Disney Animation. Examples of projects may include high performance parallel computation, migrating systems to Kubernetes, next generation DNS, DHCP, and IP enhancements, distributed job scheduling algorithms, storage orchestration, dynamic infrastructure automation, and machine learning.
Specifically, the Senior Network Engineer will provide technical engineering excellence within the Platform Engineering team and will work with the Production and Technology teams to provide highly available and scalable core infrastructure services that are hosted within our on-premises data center and/or cloud providers. This includes in-depth system analysis, design, troubleshooting, and integration of new products and developing tools and strategies to improve existing systems. Moreover, the Senior Network Engineer is responsible for ongoing monitoring, support, and maintenance of networks inside and outside of the Animation Studio. The position will also be expected to provide technical support and ensure 24x7 operational support and maintenance. Additionally, a successful candidate has the knowledge and skills necessary to select, connect, configure and troubleshoot various networking devices including but not limited to Layer 3 Switches, Routers, Network Security Devices, Load Balancers, IP Routing, Wireless Controllers and Access Points, Firewalls, and Point-To-Point Connections.
Bring your unique talents, passion, and ideas to our team, and prepare to be part of Disney's creative legacy!
• Partner with stakeholders and technical teams to deploy, manage, and optimize systems and services on our on-premises infrastructure and cloud environments.
• Installation and configuration of inter-networking technology on multiple platforms including Cisco Catalyst (IOS), Cisco Nexus (NXOS), A10, F5, and Palo Alto Networks.
• Configure networking on client systems across multiple operating systems including Linux, MacOSX, iOS, Android OS, Windows, Virtual Machines, and Isilon Network storage cluster.
• Act as a collaborator with the larger Technology team on issues of network security and performance.
• Manage production and financial goals effectively.
• Prioritize mission-critical tasks and coordinate the construction and expansion of our systems so updates and other maintenance tasks don't get in the way of daily operations.
• Inspire and motivate others through technical excellence and best-in-class engineering practices.
• Actively participate in team discussions and challenge the status quo when appropriate
• Provide guidance to peers' technical problems from design to implementation.
• Demonstrate the ability to drive technical influence through innovation.
• Publish and maintain detailed documentation in regards to our processes and workflows.
• Standardize and automate processes and services using script-based solutions.
• Conduct high-level root-cause analysis for service interruptions and establish preventive measures.
• In-depth knowledge of designing and building network platforms and systems to support large-scale high-performance compute and storage systems.
• Hands-on, proven expertise with developing technical solutions involving multiple applications to solve business and production needs.
• Expert-level working knowledge of:
• Layer 1 technologies such as structured cabling systems, CWDM, and DWDM Optical networking.
• Layer 2 protocols such as Ethernet (1, 10, and 100Gps and Flow Control), Port Aggregation (LACP), VLAN Tagging (802.1Q), LLDP (802.1AB), Network Access Control and Dynamic VLAN Assignment (via 802.1X), VPN, and Wireless (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac).
• Layer 3 routing protocols such as EIGRP, BGP, and OSPF.
• Layer 4 network services and protocols such as PXE, NAT, DHCP, DNS, NFS, NTP, SNMP, LDAP, HTTP, SQL and H323/SIP.
• Strong knowledge of Linux, OSX, or other Unix Operating Systems.
• Strong knowledge of access control systems and protocols including TACACS and RADIUS
• Strong knowledge of network overlay technologies including VXLAN and BGP EVPN
• Expertise with network analysis and performance tools such as Snoop, TCPDump, Wireshark, TTCP, IPerf, Shunra, SNMP, OpenView, Nagios, iperf, and Zabbix.
• Experience with installation and configuration of inter-networking technology
• Cisco Catalyst Switches/Routers (IOS), Cisco Nexus Switches/Routers (NXOS), Cisco Fabric Extension, Cisco ASA5500 Firewall/VPN Gateway, Palo Alto PA5000, and PA5200 series firewalls, F5 BigIP Load Balancer, A10 Thunder Load Balancer, Infoblox, Cisco Wireless Access Points, Cisco WLC, Aruba Controllers, Cisco ISE and Aruba Clearpass.
• Python, Csh, Bash, or Perl scripting skills
• Experience with HTML and CGI.
• Proficient in software development methodologies and processes including agile methods, continuous integration, and version control
• Knowledge of the Animation Process
• Experience with configuration management systems such as chef or ansible.
BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering; or comparable industry experience
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both univer