Sr. Developer, Media Technology - Mastering Workflows
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Walt Disney Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. Our studio film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation, and collaboration.
As part of the Mastering, Architecture, Strategy and Technology Labs at Walt Disney Studios, you'll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic environment.
The MAST Group is looking for a Senior Application Developer; you will be a domain-expert in media workflow management systems in cloud. You will help and lead the strategy in delivering a system architecture, developing quality code for a product that processes media content, to support the studio mastering operations team.
You will collaborate closely with business analysts, product managers, Instructure Engineering and partner teams to implement new features and new workflows to support an ever-growing demand for automating media workflows for studio operations teams.
The right person has recent hands-on ''in the trenches'' experience developing technical solutions, demonstrates a strong sense of collaboration in their work and professional relationships, clearly and thoughtfully communicates in their areas of expertise, empathizes with and advocates for the needs of customers, and loves mentoring others in their technical and professional development. If you are someone who effectively moves between high-level concepts and low-level execution, then this is a great role for you!
• You will be responsible for media processing systems, overall architecture of the mastering workflow systems, supporting critical supply chain workflows.
• Design and deliver complex architectures and distributed systems, including working through other engineers to help deliver the end solution.
• Work with a team of Software Engineers delivering high quality software
• Work closely with Studio's engineering teams to ensure application is deployed effectively.
• Ensure to deliver a stable, scalable and reliable system.
• Mentor team members to teach them technical and quality-related concepts to drive overall product quality
• Bootstrap your team's work and lead by example via your own technical contributions
• Collaborate with product managers and software developers in an open and creative way to define acceptance criteria and development strategies
• Use data to define metrics that provide visibility into the quality of product stability.
• Identify and drive improvements in engineering methodologies to ensure industry-leading system quality and team efficiency
• Work across teams and disciplines to explore technical solutions and evaluate technical tradeoffs, using the latest media encoding technologies and video capabilities.
• Ensure to deliver a stable, scalable and reliable systems in cloud.
• 4 years in a technical role and working with agile processes (E.g. Scrum, Kanban)
• Experience in video technologies such as picture color, RAW image footage, UHD HDR/SDR/EDR, transcoding, encoding, packaging IMF and DCP.
• A solid background in applications programming, and full stack application management.
• Strong programming skills in NodeJs, PHP, Java, or similar
• Strong skills with RDBMs like MYSQL, SQL Server and Document DB such as Mongo DB
• Strong user-facing skills, with the ability to understand and react to changing user requirements. The ability to engage with production and distill their problem space into a solution is a must
• Experience with back-end test automation frameworks/tools
• Proficient with version control software (E.g. GitHub) and issue/project tracking software (E.g. Jira)
• Experience with software development/debugging tools (E.g. Postman, curl, Chrome Dev Tools)
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines with build/deploy tools (E.g. Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes)
• Experience with Amazon Web Services, Elastic Cache, Elastic Search, Fargate, FSX, S3, RDS
• A good understanding of media workflows, such as Videos, Audios, Subtitles, Images, moving large files.
• Experience with RabbitMQ, SQS
• Experience with managing Amazon EKS cluster
• Strong verbal and written communication skills (E.g. Whiteboarding/diagramming system behavior)
• Deep understanding of quality-related agile methodologies and tools and validated experience using both during the SDLC
• Shown experience collaborating with software engineers and product owners resulting in high quality work
• Strong time management skills
• Proven experience demonstrating analytical skills, reporting, leadership, focus on the viewer, and collaboration
• Experience with C/C
• Experience with IMF, Apple PRO-RES, Digital Cinema Packages.
• Experience with MovieLabs and iTunes MLF specs and any hands on experience creating outputs.
• Experience with Streaming Playback of MPEG-DASH/HLS
• Experience with production image and color technologies such as OIIO, OCIO, Camera Raw SDKs, and Color Transforms and transformations
• Ability to operate, troubleshoot and support operators using production tools including Avid, Nuke, RV, Baselight, Lustre, Colorfront and Resolve systems
• Collaboration on open source projects (FFMPEG, ASDCP, OPENJPEG, OIIO, OCIO, OTIO, OpenExr, etc.)
• Bachelor's degree or the foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology, or a closely related field
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The W