Senior Image, Color and R&D Engineer
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Walt Disney Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. Our studio film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation, and collaboration.
As part of the Mastering, Architecture, Strategy and Technology Labs at Walt Disney Studios; you'll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic environment.
The MAST Group is looking for a Senior Image, Color and R&D Engineer to provide color science support for various projects within the broader Disney Studio Technology organization. You'll provide support for Finishing processes for titles in production; investigate emerging image technologies; design and develop imaging pipeline solutions; and contribute to the development of standards for our Studio and the broader industry.
• Design and Develop for the Digital Intermediate and Finishing pipeline and systems.
• Working closely with Mastering, DMED, and Studio Operations, establish delivery specifications, image and color pipeline, and extraction encoding workflows
• Collaborate with Disney R/D to contribute image and color science expertise and guidance.
• Participate in the design of color workflows for studio review systems and remote collaboration.
• Work closely with the MAST Sr. Mastering Engineer in the development and support of color workflows and collaborate on related studio specifications
• Liaise with appropriate mastering and distribution teams to ensure Disney's content is the best quality possible for distribution.
• Oversee assigned projects and be accountable for deliverables in partnership with The Walt Disney Studios studioLAB and Disney Research Studios
• Stay current on the latest display projection technology, color science techniques, and technologies, mastering and key emerging technologies. Provide regular training, updates, & presentations as required
• Represent Disney as appropriate in industry standardization efforts, tradeshows, and conferences
• Provide cross-department color workflow solutions.
• Create and maintain test environments relating to image science and future technologies.
• Ability to diagnose image quality issues and work with the appropriate teams to resolve them.
• Innovative mindset, Interested in emerging technology and new workflows.
• Knowledge of display hardware technologies as well as image delivery infrastructure design.
• Familiarity and aptitude designing end to end color workflows, build and translate LUTs, CDLs, and DCTLs
• Experience with the testing, troubleshooting, and calibration of displays
• Degree in Computer Science, Image Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent experience
• 10 years experience developing within a film, commercial, or similar production environment
• Ability to operate, troubleshoot and support operators using production tools including Avid, Nuke, RV, Baselight, Lustre, Colorfront, and Resolve systems
• Extensive experience with production image and color technologies such as OIIO, OCIO, Camera Raw SDKs, and Color Transforms and transformations
• Expertise in the practical application of ACES and a comprehensive understanding of its limitations and specifications
• Experience working within standards organizations (SMPTE, ITU, etc) and proven experience contributing to the industry at large
• Experience with large format display and projection technologies
• Strong user-facing skills, with the ability to understand and react to changing user requirements. The ability to engage with production and distill their problem space into a solution is a must
• Practical experience coding in CTL, DCTL, and Python
• Collaboration on open source projects (OIIO, OCIO, OTIO, OpenExr, etc.)
• Familiarity with Dolby Vision, HDR10 and dynamic metadata systems
• Experience with, and knowledge of Test Patterns, Photospectrometers, Color Meters, and other Calibration tools
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.