Manager, Media Systems Engineering
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
This was removed by the employer on 1/14/2021 5:50:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcasting/Sound/Music Engineering Category
Browse the IS/IT Category
Browse the Studio Category
Search for Manager, Media Systems Engineering jobs in Burbank-CA
Search all Manager, Media Systems Engineering postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Manager, Media Systems Engineering?
Full Time Job
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technology leader. Walt's passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world-a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences - and we're constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
Managers working Walt Disney Studio Technology must possess a broad, integrated world-view of both Information and Media technologies in order to successfully implement, manage and support the next generation of infrastructure and workflow applications designed to support feature film production, post-production and distribution. The Manager, Media Systems Engineering must be a proven ''player-coach'': technically competent to oversee media systems engineering, yet disciplined enough to prioritize, delegate and oversee the team of engineers in Studio Technology assigned to those same tasks.
• Direct management of a team of Media Systems Engineers, and Systems Reliability Engineers that support Studio-run production environments, whether on premise or in the public cloud
• Develop operational plans and procedures covering change control, maintenance events, intergroup communications, and downtime response
• Assist and facilitate architecting and engineering of systems solutions that fulfill various business unit requirements
• Responsible for appropriate application of Corporate, Studio, and individual business unit security practices and standards
• Manages all critical customer interfaces including: production, post production, client services, Studio Tech groups, and wider Enterprise
• Responsible for effective collaboration between all Studio Technology operations and engineering groups, including systems, networking, software, and client services
• Responsible for collaboration and relationships with other proximate Disney groups, including Post Production Services, Enterprise IT, IT outsourcing partners, and the broader Studio Technology groups
• Make sound technical and business decisions autonomously when confronted with competing operational trade-offs
• Oversee the performance and deliverables of 3rd party, domestic or offshore technical support suppliers
• Develop detailed service specifications designed to guide the activities of 3rd party suppliers
• Assure readily available and secured third party communications
• Optimize business value of Studio infrastructure operations in a 24x7 shop, and in the most cost-effective way possible
• Ensure reliable operation of infrastructure and component monitoring, instrumentation and management tools in order to predict, quickly diagnose and resolve abnormal systems behavior
• Secure and report on all systems and subsystems
• Manage key vendors and partners, both internal and external
• Serve as an escalation participant for tickets and issues related to supported infrastructure
• Manage budgets, forecasts and 5-year plans for the studio systems initiatives
• Responsible for all equipment/software maintenance contracts and renewals
• Responsible for all third party service contracts
• Experience working in media production environments
• Smart, self-driven with a keen focus on and track record of exceptional delivery of innovative solutions
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Pipeline knowledge (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab CI) and Source Control Management (e.g. Git)
• Knowledge of Virtual hosting technologies (e.g. VMWare, KVM)
• Data center, network, and application architectures
• Able to evaluate new system and/or infrastructure solutions for technical feasibility against known requirements and standards.
• Able to multitask in a highly complex, diverse, systems environment
• Able to quickly make decisions given incomplete and conflicting knowledge
• Highly self-directed, being able to both manage and (re)prioritize the multiple concurrent and competing challenges, issues, ambiguities, and contradictions that, inevitably, occur when supporting systems
• Strong analytical problem-solving skills
• A team-building leader with good interpersonal, verbal and relationship building skills
• Ability to construct, manage and oversee a complex budget of annual and 5-yr planning elements
• A generalist who can perform many different tasks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and thus able to explain and document the systems to their diverse audiences.
• Good interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Hands on experience building and running Linux and Windows platforms
• Skilled in managing Cloud/IaaS Environments (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud Compute)
• Knowledge in system management languages (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Ansible)
• Expertise in Software Development Continuous Integration (CI)
• Expertise with Operating Systems, Distributed Systems and Container Platforms (e.g. Kubernetes/GKE, ECS, Openshift, Fargate)
• Expertise in multiple scripting languages in your toolbox (e.g. Python, GO, Ruby, or Swift), with ability to build test coverage for all code being developed
• A seasoned and experienced technical manager, preferably from a dynamic production support environment, able to comfortably oversee highly knowledgeable technical support staff yet also contribute technically to the plan/solution.
• BS in Computer Science or related field with 8 years of experience or equivalent
• 4 years of technology management experience
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create e