Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you'll have the opportunity to join a team that's beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you've been looking for.
It's the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It's hard to define and even harder to create, but that's what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
The Library Archivist provides strategic planning, oversight, and execution for receiving, cataloging, preserving, curating, and storing of all Disney and Fox media including film, audio, video, digital and documents. This involves the use of Company databases & storage facilities in accordance with industry best practices. The Library Archivist is responsible for evaluating the importance of assets and workflows for our media archive with an emphasis on asset safe-keeping as well as the on-going reduction of physical and digital footprint and refinement of identifying data.
• Develop and implement policy guidelines that will support a file-based, self-service library.
• Provide guidance and expert advice to management and peers around risk/benefit of proposed policy recommendations with emphasis on quantifiable characteristics (cost, time, resources needed compared to benefit).
• Understand the components and complexities of a digital archive system and strategize on movement/conversion of assets to a digital archiving system. This may include working with third parties to transfer film to tape or digital medium.
• Lead efforts to grow databases to meet the needs of the business, which may include planning and managing for database enhancements and/or new systems implementations.
• Provide stewardship of priceless Disney and Fox legacy of assets utilizing preservation and storage best practices. Management of inventory and long term storage solutions of assets. Manage the archive process of fragile elements for preservation. Develop a comprehensive collections management policy, best practices and guide for the purpose of being utilized to steward assets, and ability to leverage as a training manual.
• Regular assessment of, and planning for, collections in storage, on loan, and during travel to ensure highest standards of preservation and risk management best practices are appropriate, adequate, applied, and documented, in accordance with Disney content security and anti-piracy protocols.
• Actively research library assets and look for opportunities to propose, gain consensus, and implement and drive projects that will yield large reductions of inventory from a workflow or asset level. Reduce footprint of physical and digital assets by following re mastering, ingest/scan, or audio migration workflows.
• Research and fulfill requests originating from internal employees, including loan, track and return of materials, in accordance with Disney security and anti-piracy protocol.
• Maintain strict confidentiality and security.
• Drive projects assigned by management against pre-determined timelines.
• Keep up-to-date with the ever-changing media asset management landscape. Represent our organization in external industry groups.
• 2 years of experience working in an archive.
• 3 years of experience working with video, film, and sound formats.
• Previous experience working in media library.
• Demonstrated knowledge of asset conversion process into digital archiving system.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Process Improvement and/or Quality Control methodology.
• Previous experience gathering complex data from multiple sources.
• Ability to work independently.
• Demonstrated ability to properly manage time.
• Excellent interpersonal, and communication skills (both oral and written).
• Ability to adapt to dynamic communication styles and operate in a diplomatic manner and with maturity.
• Strict attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
• Demonstrates clear understanding that confidentiality is a top priority.
• Six Sigma
• Previous film handling experience.
• Previous rare printed material and document handling experience.
• Experience with museum or archive databases other than FileMaker Pro.
• College degree or working equivalent required
• Master's degree in a related field preferred
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.