Lead Digital Operator
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Disney Digital Studio Services provides on-lot technical and creative services at the Walt Disney Studios. Our mission is to help our colleagues and filmmakers master the challenges and complexities of today's digital production, post production, marketing and distribution workflows.
Disney Digital Studio Services has an immediate need for a Lead Digital Operator on our Quality Assurance team at its state-of-the-art facility in Burbank, California. The Digital Operator is a union position covered by the Motion Picture Editors Guild.
This position will support the testing and development of new workflows, and changes to existing ones with the goal of creating industry best practices. The Lead Digital Operator will work closely with developers, vendors, and other Lead Operators in the rollout of new workflows, SOPS, and training documents. The LDO will provide regular reports to management.
• Resolve issues and/or escalate as appropriate
• Perform ad hoc media conversion projects
• Configure encoding, transcoding and media transformation profiles
• Develop standardized templates and workflows
• Facilitate establishment of best practices and document SOPS, guidelines and specifications
• Perform additional duties as requested
• Test / R&D of new workflows prior to deployment to production. Includes variations of existing workflows and expansion of facility capabilities.
• Primary point of contact with the development team and coordinator of UAT for production systems (examples include, but not limited to mastering in the cloud and Dispatch).
• Provide feedback to management on the effectiveness of current workflows. Present plans for how we can effect change to improve performance, quality and throughput.
• Regression testing new software releases of 3rd party tools used day to day in the facility in partnership with Studio Tech.
• Work with DDSS team Managers and engineering to test new workflows and provide feedback.
• Provide documentation and train lead operators around tool usage, best practices, and error messages
• Assist with Vendor Onboarding/Development and Support to identify workflows that require documentation.
• • 5-7 years' minimum industry experience in audio and video postproduction, preferably in file-based materials.
• Understand current and prevalent audio/video/film post production systems including file formats, storage and networking systems.
• Understand post-production mastering, especially for home video and electronic delivery.
• Operate typical file-based production equipment, including Clipster, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, DVP, BUF boxes, etc.
• Understand media file formats and CODECs
• Ability to use waveform monitors and audio metering to measure file attributes.
• Familiar with editing, manipulation and transcoding of video and audio files.
• Familiar with various types of metadata used for media assets.
• Working knowledge of current SMPTE, theatrical and broadcast standards.
• Understand the concepts of color spaces, bit-depths, chroma sub-sampling and sampling rates.
• Proficient computer skills.
• Work independently as well as take direction from others
• Earn the trust and respect of colleagues, partners, and customers
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Build relationships that advance the goals of the team
• Treat others with respect
• Support change and an environment of continuous improvement
• Deliver timely, high quality work
• Digital Cinema experience a plus.
• Experience with automated QC tools is also a plus.
• B.A. or B.S. degree preferred but not required.
• Familiarity with ISO 9001 Quality Assurance and/or ISO 27001 Security methodologies a plus.
• Shift flexibility as needed.
• Current membership in Motion Picture Editors Guild – Local 700. If not currently a member, you will be required to join the Motion Pictures Editors Guild within the first 30 days of employment.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.