Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Director, Production (Television Animation)
The Director, Production will manage several of Television Animation's(TVA) projects, production teams, and may also have oversight of projects produced for us though outside studios. The Director will ensure the streamlined operation of our animation productions from greenlight through post production. This Director will work closely with the creative teams, Executives and Department Heads to ensure the production achieves the highest quality possible within the approved budget and schedule. This role will oversee multiple types of animation projects, primarily television series, but also short form content, feature length content, specials, and other programming needs.
• Supervise all aspects of his/her respective projects including, but not limited to:
• Oversee Producers and Line Producers on current productions; manage and assess schedules and reports – identify challenges, analyze risks, and work with the appropriate team to resolve issues, streamline processes, and foster innovation
• Communicate effectively with studio leadership to surface production issues
• Partner with the shows' Producers to prepare scenarios that address production issues and present those scenarios to studio leadership. Involve other TVA departments in evaluating issues and finding the optimal solution for the production
• Prepare a project for active production by building the initial production schedule, budget, and staffing plan. Take a leading role in starting up the project by leading handoff meetings and building a production plan.
• Act as a liaison between the production team and the animation studio
• Work closely with show producers, line producers, and key department heads to ensure that shows are produced at the highest quality possible within the constraints of the budget and schedule
• Partner with production finance to create and refine schedule and budgets for in-house series and review budgets and schedules for series produced at third-party production studios.
• Coordinate with the BA/Legal team to ensure proper contracts are in place for the project. Be aware of talent contracts, animation studio contracts, and external vendor contracts that will impact the specific projects within this position's overview. Provide relevant project information to the BA team as they negotiate contracts for the projects.
• Partner with the Director, Artist Management in the staffing of production management and artistic talent
• Work with various DTVA and Channel teams – Development, Current, Franchise, Marketing, Media Relations, Production, Casting, Music, Post Production, Finance, Business Affairs, Labor Relations, Legal, IT, HR, Facility Operations, etc.
• Stay on top of key industry trends and identify opportunities
• Think critically and analytically. Must have a high aptitude for strategic planning and tactical execution on a multitude of simultaneous projects
• In partnership with the VP, Creative Production and SVP, Production identify and evaluate animation subcontractors
• In concert with our other Directors of Production: groom in house production talent, negotiate staffing between shows, create and implement systems to streamline processes
• Minimum 5 years of hands-on production experience in animated or gaming programming/studios.
• Minimum 5 years production management experience including prior experience as a Producer or as an executive at a production company or studio.
• Minimum 3 years' experience managing creative teams as well as outsourced teams in a high-pressure environment.
• Minimum 3 experience working with overseas/global animation studios or gaming production.
• Experience with project management in outsourced environment.
• Extensive experience and knowledge of pre-production, production and post-production methods in traditional and CG mediums
• An experimental, risk-taking mind-set: Must be open to thinking outside of traditional television formats and outside of the traditional linear television model.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills which will enable him/her to interact with a range of personalities and styles and establish effective relationships at all levels of the organization; have a problem-solving approach; be highly self-motivated, well-organized and have a strong work ethic.
• Familiarity with animation software, hardware, databases and asset management systems
• Wide industry knowledge of talent, process and various pipelines
• Prior experience in conceptualizing, ideating, and presenting ideas to Executive Leadership teams.
• Ability to travel 5%.
• Minimum 10 years of hands-on production of animated programming
• Distant location budgeting experience
• A track record of delivering animated series on-time and on-budget
• Experience in a large dynamic studio
• A passion for children's programming
• Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent work experience
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.