Director, Learning & Development
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
At The Walt Disney Studios, you'll help bring compelling stories to life through film, music and live entertainment.
The Walt Disney Studios has an exciting opportunity for a Director, Learning and Development to join the Human Resources team. This role is highly visible and influential, playing an integral role in supporting leadership and talent across the Studio organization.
The Director, Learning and Development serves as a strategic partner for The Walt Disney Studio teams across creative, operational and business support functions. In collaboration with Studio business leaders and Human Resource (HR) partners, this position will be responsible to build and drive bold and innovative learning and development strategies that support Studio business objectives while promoting an environment where employees can grow and succeed.
As a part of this strategy, The Director will define and implement innovative practical solutions that support the development of critical business and leadership skills. The individual will need to understand the environment and business of the Studio, forecast critical skill requirements, leadership and executive development, professional and career development, program management and talent planning.
This role is also responsible for effective integration and partnership with HR Business Partners within our various lines of businesses, HR functional Centers of Excellence (COEs), including Learning, Talent Solutions, and Diversity & Inclusion to ensure alignment of talent solutions to overall Disney and Studio priorities. Candidates must have prior experience delivering creative learning solutions via formal training and development, relationship-based and on-the-job platforms, as well as leveraging workforce analytics to develop and evaluate solutions. The Director may also lead talent management initiatives outside of learning and development as assigned.
Learning & Talent Development:
• Develop a learning strategy and an annual learning plan (Learning AOP) in collaboration with HR, COEs and functional partners that is bold, innovative and practical focused on supporting talent and grounded in business priorities
• Consult with HR partners and business leaders to create and deliver talent development solutions that address business needs.
• Plan and facilitate cross-functional HR work sessions to identify and align talent development strategies to Studio and Line of Business needs.
• Leverage workforce analytics to identify talent development strategies and evaluate their impact on business performance.
• Collaborate with WFA, HR partners and business leaders to forecast critical skill gaps and priorities.
• Integrate Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) strategies throughout learning and development activities.
• Lead and project manage the implementation of Studio and TWDC talent development initiatives.
• Develop and/or facilitate regional and Studio-specific learning programs.
• Plan and implement talent management initiatives outside of learning and development, such as employee engagement and succession planning projects, in partnership with our functional partners.
Enterprise and Studio Collaboration:
• Seek and build partnership opportunities to implement, and continuously improve, learning and talent development tools and processes through various studio lines of businesses.
• Partner with Studio learning teams embedded within Lucas, Pixar, Walt Disney Animation Studios and Disney Theatrical to develop opportunities for cross Studio collaboration
• Partner with functional counterparts (Talent Solutions, Diversity and Inclusion, etc.) and applicable Centers of Excellence across TWDC to address common learning and talent development priorities.
• Lead and continuously develop a successful L&D team:
• Develop a high performing culture where team members can demonstrate their best abilities
• Encourage diversity of thought and integrate expertise across the team to provide holistic client support
• Develop a successful team, that is positioned as credible, proactive, and trusted thought partners through building relationships and delivering results
• Ensure the ongoing development of staff capabilities and individual talent management
• Promote strong employee engagement
• 7-10 years of experience in human resources, organization development, training or related talent planning field
• 5 years of experience in leading and developing staff professionals
• Proven ability to build, integrate, and lead innovative and sustainable learning strategies
• Ability to develop integrated training solutions from inception to post-delivery assessment.
• Strong facilitation skills applicable across formal and informal (eg, coaching, mentoring) approaches
• Strong consulting and influencing skills; ability to think strategically
• Strong diagnostic, problem solving, and analytical skills
• Demonstrates an effective consultative approach to build awareness or key organizational issues and consensus for relevant solutions; able to guide stakeholders through a shared and collaborative decision making process
• Proven experience leveraging workforce analytics to define, implement and evaluate talent development strategies and practices
• Strong interpersonal and developed presentation skills with a proven ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization
• Ability to remain connected to the business – Studio, individual lines of businesses and The Company. Deliver solutions that balance individual client and overall Studio needs
• Previous experience working with both creative and business professionals is preferred
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects that cut across multiple business units, teams and HR partners from inception through completion
• Embraces working and operating in a highly collaborative and communicative environment
• Highly innovative and creative in approach to accomplish work
• Ability to manage and thrive within ambiguity
• Demonstrated bias toward action, with a focus on getting things done and making things happen
• Understands how to lead change within dynamic environments
• Ability to proactively define and execute partnering opportunities with HR and functional (e.g., Finance) partners
• Demonstrated success in synthesizing complex business data and developing innovative and holistic solutions
• Exceptional collaboration skills and ability to effectively work across functions and organization.
• BA/BS degree in Human Resources, Business or related field
• MBA preferred
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collabor