Director, Labor Relations
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Walt Disney Studios is seeking an experienced labor relations director to join its Labor Relations Department in Burbank, CA. Primary responsibilities will include active involvement in negotiating and administering collective bargaining agreements, providing advice to production units, representing the company in multiple forums, arbitrations and administrative agency matters. This position requires a passion for labor relations work, a high degree of collegiality and strong interpersonal skills, an ability to develop constructive relationships with colleagues, internally and externally and with representatives of guilds and unions, while pursuing the company's objectives. This position requires refined dispute resolution skills and involves daily interaction with production, business affairs, finance, legal, HR and other executives.
Supports the Walt Disney Studio Labor Relations team reporting to the Managing Vice President Labor Relations while working with business units, providing advice and interpretation in:
• The preparation for collective bargaining negotiations, the administration and interpretation of collective bargaining agreements, strategic advisement.
• Resolution of claims, grievances and disputes.
• Prepare legal assessments and litigation evaluations.
• Represent the company in legal and administrative proceedings.
• Formulate and file responses to state and federal agencies, e.g. NLRB, FMCS, state/federal courts.
• Negotiation and drafting of collective bargaining and resolution agreements.
• Advising business units re IP and rights issues deriving from collective bargaining agreements.
• Partnering with business units to proactively facilitate needs and objectives.
• Assist in formulating legal/business strategies for dispute avoidance.
• Management of relationships with Guilds/Unions and compliance with collective bargaining agreement obligations.
• Collaborate with Industry counterparts to drive collective strategies.
• Represent Company's positions in Industry legal and administrative forums.
• 5-10 years minimum experience in Labor Relations, Human Resources, Entertainment.
• Exceptional Communication and Analytical (Qualitative and Quantitative) Skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively towards effective and creative solutions.
• Sound judgment with aptitude to distinguish, assimilate and analyze relevant facts and data.
• JD or equivalent training and accreditation.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.