Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Creative Executive (WDAS)
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, stretching from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. At Walt Disney Animation Studios' top filmmakers, artists and technical wizards collaborate to create the magic of animation. Bring your unique talents, passion and ideas to our team and prepare to play in a creative, artist-friendly environment.
The Creative Executive role helps shepherd the early development process for animated feature films and Disney streaming content. As such, the CE works in concert with production personnel as the day-to-day support for individual directors as they work to articulate and develop their film ideas. Duties include offering feedback on story and pitch presentations between major creative milestone meetings; conducting and coordinating inspirational research for the film world & characters; and conducting an on-going, in-depth search for writers who match the sensibility of the projects and the filmmaker-driven, collaborative culture of Disney Animation. The Creative Executive reports to and takes direction from the VP, Creative Development.
• Manage the creative strategy on projects in development, helping filmmakers shape stories from concept through script with an emphasis on character and film structure
• Facilitate & provide creative feedback in pitches, story sessions, screenings, notes sessions
• Manager of development coordinator(s) which includes setting performance expectations, providing feedback, performance reviews, and developing direct report(s).
• Manage the constant search for and outreach to writers, both emerging and veteran, to match with directors by soliciting & analyzing scripts and interviewing writers
• Build & maintain relationships with writers, agents and industry executives, and other relevant creative communities, to scout emerging & diverse writing talent
• Maintain a comprehensive and well-organized writer database covering samples, credits, script notes, meeting notes, representation, and other relevant information
• Facilitate hiring of story & research consultants for projects in development and in production
• Spearhead research initiatives, and helps integrate ongoing research into story development
• Collaborate on the story development of various ancillary projects, such as short circuit
• Excellent sense of screenplay structure, character and analysis
• Knowledge of film/tv/theater and the entertainment industry, and strong interest in animation
• Deep industry contacts with writers & creative talent as well as agents, managers and scouts
• Ability to effectively communicate and work collaboratively with all levels of creative talent and management, and with diverse personalities and work styles, is crucial
• Demonstrable flexibility, professionalism, and finesse when handling the multiple and diverse demands of a fast-paced and dynamic creative environment.
• Good taste, maturity and focus are a must
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• Strong ability to learn new technologies
• At least 2-5 years of experience in a relevant, comparable environment
• Animation feature experience not necessary, however must have 2-5 years of film and/or creative development experience
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.