Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Chief Counsel is responsible for all legal matters across The Walt Disney Studios supporting Walt Disney Pictures, 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, and Disney Theatrical Group.
The Chief Counsel provides counsel and direction to Studio Content senior leaders on legal matters, including those in Production, Marketing, Technology, Operations, among other functions. Additionally, this leader will be responsible for setting strategy for legal services in alignment with the overall Studio business strategy. He/she will frequently partner with Corporate Legal on strategy and policies/procedures.
• Provide leadership on all legal matters across Studio Content business, strategy, and functions.
• Lead the Studio Legal Affairs team which includes attorneys, paralegals, administration, and support staff.
• Set the vision, priorities and goals for Legal teams across all Studio banners, ensuring a consistent approach to assessment and resolution of matters.
• Provide legal counsel and advice to senior leaders on key legal matters across Studios.
• Direct and review the work of attorneys on a wide array of matters and issues; including risk management, privacy, intellectual property, piracy, litigation, clearances, technology, participations, and audits, among others; advise on labor and guild issues.
• Partner closely with the Business Affairs team on rights and talent deals.
• Partner with Corporate Legal on matters that have Studio-wide and company-wide impact.
• Foster a diverse and inclusive environment, with a focus on employee engagement and development across all levels.
• A minimum of 20 years of legal experience, preferably in a major studio or entertainment company
• Demonstrated ability to drive strategic thought leadership and influence senior business leaders
• Seasoned leader of large groups of employees, with specific experience in developing and engaging attorneys, paralegal, and administrative staff.
• Solid understanding of motion picture business and legal issues, including emerging trends in streaming, theatrical shortening release windows, episodic, and new media.
• JD from ABA accredited law school
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.