Cg Layout Artist
Walt Disney PicturesGlendale, CA
This was removed by the employer on 1/6/2022 4:26:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Search for Cg Layout Artist jobs in Glendale-CA
Search all Cg Layout Artist postings
Full Time Job
Cg Layout Artist - Monsters At Work
Our CG Layout position is a unique step of the CG animation pipeline that uniquely focuses the Artists' attention on attaining cinematic solutions for camera and character blocking. Our CG Layout team members must be multi-skilled CG Artists with high standards for achieving a traditional, cinematic look in the CG medium. They must have an exceptional understanding of cinematic storytelling and be able to effectively communicate the story and delight audiences.
• Working with rough models of environments and beginning to scout out the viability of shots. Modifying sets to confirm the effectiveness through compositional and blocking tests.
• When rigs are not already made, CG Layout Artist will model rough new characters or reduce polygon resolution of existing models, and rig them according to specifications made by the Supervisor. The Artist should maintain the goal of balancing appealing performance with rig lightness/quickness so that scenes with many characters operate near 24 fps.
• Textures will often be required to help communicate materials, parallax and scale of environments, props and characters. Artist should be very comfortable building shaders for viewport 2.0 rendering and be able to paint/edit textures in Photoshop. This also includes the skill for optimizing UV spaces and texture layout for fast load times and high frame rates.
• CG Layout Artist will be able to understand how to work in stepped keyframes and generate clear, storytelling key poses. Artist must understand the principles of character blocking, and how effective staging can drive story, emotion, and make for elegant cinematography.
• CG Layout Artist will be comfortable using Adobe Premiere to cut together their shots using the 2D animatic as a starting point. They will use Premiere in troubleshooting problem edits, knowing when it is best to maintain shots in Sequencer and when it is better to break a shot out into its own Maya file. CG Layout Artist should have a strong eye for shot continuity and be able to generate shots that cut well together.
• While most often the CG Layout Artist is working from a 2D animatic, Artist will also work directly from a script or from a written or verbal description of an event or scene. The Artist should have strong fundamentals of cutting patterns based on emotional reactions, advancing plot and visual flavor.
• In all aspects of our CG Layout role, the Artist must feel comfortable sharing work often with other team members to get feedback and work towards better solutions. Artist should be able to present their work to a Director and be engaged in the conversation in resolving problems. While defending or justifying decisions is desired, the Artist should also recognize the point of view of the Director and remember that the universal end goal is to entertain the audience and that we are all working towards that goal together.
• Experience on animated films, 3D Previz, games, or as a live-action Cinematographer on narrative films, as demonstrated in a show reel.
• Outstanding artistic skills in cinematography and film language, including a strong sense of composition, staging, camera movement, shot flow, character animation and posing.
• Basic editing skills to convey shot builds to CG Layout Supervisor.
• Experience with CG Software. Comfortable learning and troubleshooting new software.
• Able to work in an iterative process, welcoming creative input and addressing constructive feedback at a consistent level.
• Phenomenal communication and problem-solving skills, while collaborating with other CG Layout Artists and departments.
• Welcoming of creative input and addressing constructive feedback.
• Ability to self-manage deadlines, working efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
• Camera polish or final layout experience is a plus.
• Superior: Maya, Adobe Premiere
• Intermediate to Advanced: Photoshop, AfterEffects
• Preferred: ZBrush, Mel and Python scripting
• Superior: Digital cinematography, staging and blocking, rough editing, dynamic and comedic timing, visual storytelling. Able to translate 2D storyboards into a cinematic CG/3D solution. Can work within specific camera styles/limitations.
• Intermediate to Advanced: Character posing, character animation, texture painting, lighting, rough modeling, rigging, set design, temp FX animation.
• Collaborative spirit, passion for animation, takes criticism well, problem solver and self-motivator.
• Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.