Associate Principal Counsel Studios Technology
Walt Disney PicturesBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
The Walt Disney Studios is at the leading edge of entertainment and technology, working with the best entertainment brands in the world such as Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar and 20th Century Studios.
The Studio Technology Legal group is looking for a transactional attorney to assist with supporting the Studio Technology and Studio Operations organizations. This support will include negotiating and drafting technology related agreements in various fields such as motion picture production and post-production, production management technologies, content and information security, marketing, interactive media technologies, mobile applications, and technology transfers. It will also include advising business partners on applicable company policies and legal requirements.
This position requires exceptional organizational skills; a proactive mindset; acute attention to details and deadlines; exceptional drafting skills; strong acumen for legal issue spotting; and constant, effective communication with both internal business partners and third parties.
• Drafting and negotiating agreements, amendments and other legal documentation related to technology and operations, including but not limited to, software licenses, software as a service agreements, hardware procurement agreements, professional services agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and software/system evaluation agreements.
• Coordinating with subject matter legal experts throughout the Disney enterprise (e.g., privacy, open source, music, risk management and finance).
• Ensuring our business partners comply with applicable company policies.
• Advising our business partners on legal requirements.
• Supervising and assisting junior team members.
• Basic understanding of the technology and entertainment businesses. Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business trends and legal developments in technology, entertainment and intellectual property law.
• Superior drafting, negotiation, communication and organizational skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment. Ability to build interdepartmental relationships at all levels.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and present arguments to higher-level attorneys and business partners to help shape strategic decisions made by those individuals.
• Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise level perspective.
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority and high volume projects. Demonstrates a clear ability to manage fast paced environment.
• Ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Minimum 5 years of significant legal experience as an attorney with at least 2 of those years working primarily on technology agreements.
• JD degree from an accredited law school. Strong academic credentials. Admission to California State Bar Association (or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel).
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.