Assistant Art Director - Hamster and Gretel
Walt Disney PicturesGlendale, CA
Full Time Job
This is a key leadership role that partners with the Executive Producers, Art Director, Producer, and subcontracted animation studio to execute the creative vision of the show while working within the schedule and budget for the series. The Assistant Art Director will work directly with the Art Director and art team to ensure a quality and consistency of style throughout the series. They must be comfortable dealing with internal and external departments on a daily basis. They will have strong management skills to oversee and give feedback to artistic crew. They will be responsible for anticipating and problem-solving complexity issues. This role requires collaboration with and leadership of a diverse group of people in a fast-paced environment.
• Works closely with the Executive Producer, Art Director, and Director(s) on all aspects of the series' look and mood.
• Assists the EP and Art Director to continue the visual style of the series, creating conceptual and production artwork. This includes the Art Review, Black and White Line Art Review and Color Art Review for Executive approval.
• Works closely with Art Director in overseeing design team, delegating work and monitoring their schedules to create and maintain consistency with the design of the project
• Reads Outlines/Scripts, attends Storyboard pitches and Animatic reviews, and flags potential complexity or design count issues.
• Maintains production schedule provided by Producer to ensure cost effective, timely production.
• Works alongside with Art Director in communicating and problem-solving with vendor animation studio. Works with the Production team and the Digital department.
• Reviews proxy, geometry, texture, and surface materials for final approval (if applicable to a CGI series).
• Participates in episodic handouts for Location, Props and Background Keys with oversite from series Art Director.
• If applicable, creates color scripts outlining the tone.
• If applicable, approves pre-production materials from vendor studio.
• Participates in artwork breakdowns, with knowledge of series asset assumptions.
• Provides guidance on calling retakes involving Layout, Playblast and Take 1 returns.
• Collaborates with Color Stylists on creating and ensuring Lead Sheets are accurate.
• Provides Background Paint or Location Design assistance as needed.
• 2 years of experience in artistic animation production
• Experience leading a team preferred
• Experience working with oversees vendor studios preferred
• Knowledge of drawing software that includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Harmony and 3D technology, where applicable
• A broad knowledge of artistic styles, color theory, latest technology, and film preferred
• Strong leadership qualities with the ability to partner with Creatives and Executives, collaborate with peers, and manage and mentor artists
• Ability to oversee multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to align with style and sensibility of show
• Positive attitude with the ability to be flexible
• Excellent organizational, verbal, written, e-social skills and acumen
• Ability to travel outside of the country
Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
Equal Opportunity Employer--Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.