Animation Research Library Intern, Disney Animation Summer
Walt Disney PicturesGlendale, CA
Full Time Paid Internship
The Animation Research Library (ARL) is dedicated to the preservation of the artistic heritage of the Walt Disney Animation Studios for enrichment and inspiration. We house a collection of more than 65,000,000 pieces of original artwork, which includes, but is not limited to, conceptual art, storyboards, maquettes, hand drawn production art, 3D models, textures, image files and final rendered images.
This internship will be embedded with the ARL's Collections team, which is tasked with the long term preservation and organization of Disney Animation's production artwork, including the preservation, cataloging, and digitization of the physical collections and the preservation and organization of the born digital collections.
Working with the Archives Data Specialist, the intern will be part of our ongoing efforts to create a comprehensive catalogue of our collections. As part of our migration to a new collections management system, we are cleaning data post migration, testing and implementing the new system and developing consistent standards for its use. We also continue to catalogue original artwork as it is prepared by the collections team. Tasks will include:
• Cleaning and updating catalogue records post data migration
• Researching and updating authority records
• Updating legacy catalog metadata to current standards
• Creating catalog records for animation artwork in the new collections management database
• Participating in ongoing collections management projects such as artwork rehousing and assisting with cataloguing and research requests.
• Detail-oriented, with conscientious work habits
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Basic familiarity with library and/or archives processes and standards
• Experience handling original artwork or documents
• Interest in animation and/or original artwork
• Familiarity with standard word processing and spreadsheet software
• Experience with programs such as Google tools (Drive, Calendar, Sheets) and advanced Excel.
• Experience working with relational databases
• Experience cataloguing museum objects or archival materials
• Experience with authority records
• Master of Library and Information Science or student working toward the degree
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in animation, fine art, art history, or film is a plus
• At least 18 years of age
• Unrestricted work authorization
• Available full time for 12 weeks from May/June through August/September
• Ability to provide own relocation, housing and transportation. Position is located in Glendale, CA.
• Enrolled in a graduate program in Library and Information Science and taking at least one class in the semester prior to participation in the internship program, or recently graduated within six months at time of application
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019's Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.