Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
We are seeking Technical Directors for upcoming projects at our Burbank, CA studio.
Technical Directors are responsible for providing support to our artist teams in a variety of areas including writing tools to facilitate the CG animation process, acting as a liaison to the software developers, and front-line artist support.
Technical Directors should have a strong desire to be close to the filmmaking process. They function as an integral part of the departments they're associated with, designing or optimizing processes and tools to best fit production needs. They should look at production systems holistically and have the ability to visualize the larger pipeline, understanding the impact of their actions, and how to optimize processes and tools. Technical Directors also have an important role in our ongoing efforts to push the boundaries of what we're capable of producing in our various toolsets.
• Provide support to our artists in a variety of areas including scripting and writing tools to facilitate the CG animation process
• Design and optimize processes and tools to fit production needs
• View production systems holistically and have the ability to visualize the larger pipeline while understanding the impact of their actions
• Act as a collaborator with the larger Technical Director department
• Active engagement with artistic and technical leadership in the ongoing evolution of the production process
• Become involved in mentoring apprentices and other Technical Directors in tools and processes
• Active engagement with the Technology Department in the research and development of new methodologies
• Involvement in the positive representation of Walt Disney Animation Studios in the larger filmmaking and computer graphics community
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent
• Strong scripting and programming skills including Python and C
• Ability to write and apply innovative techniques and a deep understanding of production methodologies
• Software development experience on production systems
• Advanced Maya experience and in-depth knowledge of Linux
• Advanced experience with modern global illumination rendering a plus
• Solid understanding of node-based compositing packages (i.e. Shake, Nuke, or similar) a plus
• Understanding of visual effects and/or animation techniques
• Strong problem solving skills
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment, offer mentorship, and take direction from department and show leadership
• Understanding of environmental effects simulation techniques and Houdini a plus
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.