Summer Paid Intern - RealTime Rendering
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Paid Internship
The Internship Program
Have you wondered how your skills and talents could translate into the world of animation? Our Internship Program dives into the craft, technology, and operations behind our animated films while developing your skills and connecting you to industry mentors. You'll learn what it means to be a part of a collaborative team and how your unique talents can grow within our studio. Find yourself immersed in hands-on projects and learning guided by our artists, technologists, and production leaders.
Am I Eligible?
• At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university, taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must provide full work availability
• Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May/June - August/September 2023
• Interns must be fully available for the duration of a 12-week assignment
• Please note that the safety and well-being of our teams is very important to us. Based on government recommendations, we will determine whether this program will be in-person at our Burbank, CA studio or virtual in the coming months.
For our 2023 programs, we are committed to providing mentorship and development. Walt Disney Animation Studios' Internship Program provides emerging talent with an immersive view of animation through educational seminars on craft and filmmaking, reinforced by individual and technical projects.
As part of the Interactive Visualization team in Production Technology, you will work with developers to provide real-time preview rendering and interaction capabilities for artists. This will test your CPU and GPU coding skills, real-time rendering, and collaboration as you explore new ways to preview film assets at scale in real-time. The goal of the internship will be to improve the visual fidelity of the studio's current preview rendering capabilities through prototypes of cutting-edge graphics techniques to enable artists to visualize and interact with real-time imagery that is more representative of final renders.
The ideal candidate will bring a passion for high-quality real-time graphics and modern game engine technologies and demonstrate this passion with related work and/or school projects. They should also bring with them a curious mind that enjoys a challenge, wants to learn, and can contribute to our team's knowledge base and studio culture. See details below on what working with this team for the Summer of 2023 will entail:
• Real-time lighting and shadow techniques
• High-Quality Anti Aliasing
• Screen Space Image Processing
• Proficiency in C++, ideally C++11/14
• Experience with 3D graphics APIs such as OpenGL, DirectX, or Vulkan
• Proficiency in shading languages such as GLSL or HLSL
• Understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts and algorithms
• Good mathematical fundamentals, including linear algebra and numerical methods
• The ability to quickly produce clear, efficient, and testable code
• Passionate about real-time/game engine programming
• Understanding of physically-based rendering theory
• Familiarity with current research in real-time rendering
• Experience with optimizing code for CPU and GPU
• Familiarity with modern game engine architecture and design
• Familiarity with USD and Hydra