Head Of Animation
Walt Disney Animation StudiosVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Head of Animation will oversee a team of artists working together to create the animation style, in conjunction with the Director's vision. Accountable to the Director for character animation on the production. Supervise all aspects of animation, while also partnering across all shot and asset departments. This is a regular, full time, staff position that will be located at our Vancouver, BC studio. Please note that relocation eligibility may be determined based on role and individual circumstance.
• Working to realize the vision of the Director(s), VFX Supervisor, Producer/AP and to implement the animation style and practices for the show.
• Supervise and support a team of Animation artists in executing all hero and crowd performances within the animation and design style of the show.
• Engage in and support the creation of crowd animation cycles and requirements in partnership with the Crowds supervisor/lead/artists.
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of deliverables into downstream departments.
• Drives department processes, bidding and reviews.
• Determines resource needs and collaborates with studio, show and department leadership in finding staffing solutions.
• Analyzes and determines cost implications of requests and strategizes on solutions in partnership with show leadership.
• Sets the creative and technical vision/expectations for the supervisors, leads and department. Responsible for seeing that vision through.
• In tight conjunction with the Production Management and AM, inspires and motivates the supervisors, leads and department
• Contributes to the overall craft and Leadership development of supervisors, leads and department through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition and accountability.
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice and addressing bias when it occurs.
• Creates, models and supports a collaborative work environment within your team and between departments on the show.
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other department leaders utilizing a holistic view to meet show vision.
• Provides regular updates to show leadership on the progress, health and direction of the team.
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
• Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
• Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions and workflows to support the department, show and studio.
• Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
• Past leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others.
• Demonstrated history of problem solving and project management skills.
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools, and workflows as they relate to discipline(s) you would be leading.
• Understanding of the disciplines/craft which you would be leading.
• Strong understanding of anatomy, perspective, and composition
• Experience in solving problems of weight, balance, movement, space, construction and proportion
• Demonstrated proficiency with the principles of animation, including timing and the dynamics of animals and human figures in action
• Demonstrated acting and staging skills; the ability to caricature features, actions, emotions required
• Ability to present work and communicate clearly with artistic and studio leadership
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment, taking as well as giving direction with poise
• Strong understanding of the principles of cinematography and animation
• Strong knowledge and technical understanding of digital pipeline issues
• Knowledge of kinematics and physical behaviors
Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
• 3D Modeling and Rigging
• Animation principles
• The Unix/Linux environment
• File management systems
Skill in the following areas is desired:
• Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture