Environment Look Development Supervisor
Walt Disney Animation StudiosVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Environment Look Development Supervisor plays an integral role in the production team. They will work with a team of Look Development Artists, provide leadership and guidance, help them meet the high artistic standards of Disney Animation to create believable worlds, and ensure that the direction of the creative team is carried out on schedule and on budget. This is a regular, full time, staff position that will be located at our Vancouver, BC studio. Please note that relocation eligibility may be determined based on role and individual circumstance.
• Work with the CG Supervisor - Environments to realize their vision to define and implement the Environment Look Dev style and practices for the show.
• Supervise all aspects of Environment Look Development to realize the Director's vision.
• Oversee and mentor a team of artists working together to create all the material surface properties & asset surface properties, including shaders, textures.
• Partner with Lighting Supervisors to ensure the correct light response for the film
• Collaborate directly with the Art Director of Environments and the CG Supervisor - Environments to realize environments which successfully encompass all artistic and technical criteria.
• Collaborate with the Character Look Development Supervisor to maintain a common connection across the look of characters, environments, and set extensions.
• In collaboration with the show leadership, aid in determining the creative and technical approach for the generation of all Set Extension imagery for the show.
• Supervise a Set Extension team, working in conjunction with the show leadership, to identify and implement Set Extension production workflow processes, enabling the Director's vision to be realized
• Maintain functional parity between Look Development, Lighting, and FX
• Partner with Production Management and the CG Supervisor - Environments to make sure artists are on track to complete assignments on time and to top quality.
• Analyze cost implications of requests or changes and notify production of resource over-runs.
• Staying abreast of the development of new Look Development tools
• Where necessary, participate in the creation of assets.
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments.
• Participates in department processes, bidding and reviews
• Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions.
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice and addressing bias when it occurs.
• Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members.
• In tight conjunction with the CG Supervisor - Environments, Production Management and AM, inspires and motivates the team.
• Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability.
• Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments.
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
• Provides regular updates to direct leaders on the progress, health and direction of the team.
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
• Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
• Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions and workflows to support the department, show and studio.
• Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
• Minimum 2 years of leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others.
• Experience as a Look Supervisor or similar role in CG Animation and/or Visual Effects production
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools and workflows as they relate to the discipline you would be leading.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Art, Illustration, Cinema Studies, Computer Graphics, Engineering or equivalent experience.
• Has a combined technical and creative background
• Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
• 3D Texture painting and mapping techniques
• 3D Lighting, Rendering, and Compositing techniques
• The Unix/Linux environment
• Python, Java and/or Mel scripting
• File management systems
• Skill in the following areas is desired:
• Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture