Character Modeling Supervisor
Walt Disney Animation StudiosVancouver, BC
This was removed by the employer on 1/5/2023 9:50:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Search for Character Modeling Supervisor jobs in Vancouver-BC
Search all Character Modeling Supervisor postings
Full Time Job
The Character Modeling Supervisor plays an integral role in the production team. They will work with a team of Modeling Artists, provide leadership and guidance, help them meet the high artistic standards of Disney Animation to create engaging characters, and ensure that the direction of the creative team is carried out on schedule and on budget. This is a regular, full time, staff position that will be located at our Vancouver, BC studio. Please note that relocation eligibility may be determined based on role and individual circumstance.
• Working with the CG Supervisor - Characters to realize their vision to define and implement the Character Modeling style and practices for the show.
• Collaborate directly with the Art Director of Characters, Rigging Supervisor, Simulation Supervisor and Character Look Development Supervisor to realize Characters which successfully encompass all artistic and technical criteria.
• Partner with Production Management and the CG Supervisor - Characters to make sure artists are on track to complete assignments on time and to top quality.
• Proactively maintain a consistent working methodology for Modelers.
• Analyze cost implications of requests or changes and notify production of resource over-runs.
• Manage complexity of the models.
• Stay abreast of the development of new modeling tools.
• Where necessary, participate in the creation of assets.
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments.
• Participates in department processes, bidding and reviews
• Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions.
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice and addressing bias when it occurs.
• Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members.
• In tight conjunction with the CG Supervisor - Characters, Production Management and AM, inspires and motivates the team.
• Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability.
• Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments.
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
• Provides regular updates to direct leader on the progress, health and direction of the team.
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
• Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
• Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions and workflows to support the department, show and studio.
• Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
• Minimum 2 years of leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others.
• Experience as a Modeling Supervisor, Modeling Lead, Sequence Supervisor, Head of Characters or similar role in CG Animation and/or Visual Effects production
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools and workflows as they relate to the discipline you would be leading.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Graphics, Computer Science, Graphic Arts, related field or equivalent work experience
• Extensive production experience with CG Modeling
• Advanced knowledge of organic and hard surface modeling, character rigging techniques and procedural modeling
• Experience with Unix/Linux and file management systems
• Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas:
• Z-Brush® and/or Mudbox™
• The Unix/Linux environment
• Python, Java and/or Mel scripting
• File management systems
• Skill in the following areas is desired:
• 3D Modeling
• Traditional drawing, painting, design and/or sculpture
• Knowledge of anatomy, kinematics and physical behaviors