Associate Technical Supervisor
Walt Disney Animation StudiosVancouver, BC
This was removed by the employer on 10/25/2023 9:31:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the Studio Category
Search for Associate Technical Supervisor jobs in Vancouver-BC
Search all Associate Technical Supervisor postings
Full Time Job
Associate Technical Supervisors work with Technical Supervisors to strategize solutions to achieve the technical goals of the production within a particular domain (Animation and Character-related departments, Lighting and Environment-related departments). They advise and directly supervise TDs, liaise with Technology on development efforts, and help with development tasks directly. They are the ''eyes on the ground'' for the Technical Supervisor and show leadership. This is a regular, full time, staff position that will be located at our Vancouver, BC studio. Please note that relocation eligibility may be determined based on role and individual circumstance.
• Working with the Technical Supervisor to realize their vision to define and implement the General TD style and practices for the show.
• Work in conjunction with the show leadership to identify and implement production workflow processes and create technical standards and conventions
• Coordinate development efforts between the production and Technology, and between concurrent or overlapping productions
• Directly architect and implement new tools, systems, and processes
• Work closely with the show leadership to ensure the successful collaboration, handoff and execution of data through the entire production
• Predict, identify, and resolve technical and process issues inhibiting production quota in all departments within domain
• Attend and be an active participant in Tech Check reviews to help identify and diagnose issues, and ensure data is ready to be consumed by downstream departments
• Proactively watch for and address data integrity issues, and identify and implement areas for data and performance optimization
• Develop and maintain the show documentation, specifically in relation to technical workflow and tools
• Identify opportunities to share knowledge and educate others on production process.
• Responsible for consumability and efficiency of artist deliverables into downstream departments.
• Participates in department processes, bidding and reviews
• Assesses resource needs and collaborates with department leadership in helping find staffing solutions.
• Creates an inclusive and safe work environment by carefully managing sensitive information, making rooms feel open and comfortable, creating space for everyone to have a voice and addressing bias when it occurs.
• Guides the creative and technical vision/expectations for the team members.
• In tight conjunction with the Technical Supervisor, Production Management and AM, inspires and motivates the team.
• Contributes to the overall craft and development of team members through setting expectations, delivering consistent constructive feedback, recognition, and accountability.
• Models and fosters a collaborative work environment between individuals on the team and across departments.
• Identifies solutions and compromises in partnership with other supervisors.
• Provides regular updates to direct leader on the progress, health and direction of the team.
• Keeps the team informed with context for show related changes and updates.
• Studio Culture-Actively fosters an inclusive, innovative, and collaborative environment so every employee can contribute at the highest levels.
• Technology, Tools and Workflow-Engages in the creation and execution of technical standards, pipeline conventions and workflows to support the department, show and studio.
• Department Stewardship-Partners closely with peers and Artist Manager support an environment of creativity, trust, and innovation. Actively involved in assessment, casting, hiring, and overall growth of artists.
• Minimum 2 years of leadership experience that demonstrates a strong ability to lead and mentor others.
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to WDAS standards, pipeline, tools and workflows with a good understanding of its technical underpinnings, especially in regard to the data management and visualization of data by various departments
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience
• Extensive experience with computer graphics
• Ability to architect new technology and processes
• Strong knowledge of each of the following technical areas (as appropriate for the domain of the position):
• 3D Modeling, Rigging, Camera and Animation, Simulation and Effects
• 3D Texture painting and mapping techniques
• 3D Lighting and Compositing techniques
• The Unix/Linux environment
• Python scripting
• C/C++ programming
• CVS, git, or a similar version control system
• Maya®, GI Rendering, Nuke® (or comparable compositing system)
• File management systems
• Queueing systems
• Data management, storage and optimization
• Strong understanding of the filmmaking process