Senior Music Editor
VibeLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
VIBE: Senior Music Editor
COVID-19 HIRING UPDATE: We have transitioned to a remote work model and are continuing to hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We appreciate this is unprecedented times and will work closely with you, taking into account your individual circumstances.
VIBE is looking to add an exceptional Senior Music Editor to its growing team. Since the early '90s, VIBE has been an authoritative voice, celebrating and reporting on the Black experience and its multi-cultural impact on Music, TV/Film, Fashion, and Lifestyle. VIBE is about the message, the mood, and the movement that informs and inspires the masses.
We are seeking a seasoned Senior Music Editor who has a deep knowledge of music, specifically the genres of hip-hop and R&B. This exceptional writer has a have a passion for the genres' global impact and influence on other styles of music. They stay ahead of the curve on trends, talent, and hot topics while being able to build the bridge between hip-hop and R&B's past, present, and future.
This individual's mission will be to convey the stories that need to be told by way of analyzing, critiquing, educating, and informing our audience. The full-time role will be based in the New York City area. Editor will report to the Executive Editor and Editor-in-Chief.
• Edit original features-cover stories, lists, profiles, reported pieces, and reviews
• Write accurate and concise music-related news articles as needed
• Develop and oversee original stories based on music events, music news and music releases
• Spearhead ideation of original content around hip-hop culture and related topics
• Commission freelance contributors, staff writers and reporters for big lists and features
• Utilize investigative reporting skills and network to break news and secure exclusives
• Occasionally conduct interviews with subjects in and connected to the hip-hop/R&B space
• Collaborate with VIBE's editorial, marketing/sales, social, and video teams on original and branded content projects
• Represent the brand at music industry conferences, events, and on press/media platforms
• 6 years of experience as a writer and editor
• Strong relationships and contacts within the music industry
• Possesses an affinity for developing and executing a story idea, from start to finish
• Solid familiarity with VIBE's history in the coverage of hip-hop and R&B is preferred
• Background in reporting and writing in a breaking news environment a plus
Founded by Quincy Jones in 1992, VIBE is a music, entertainment, fashion, and lifestyle platform that tackles topics within the urban community while pushing the conversation and cultural needle forward. With a diverse, global audience and a 28-year-plus legacy, VIBE stands as one of the leading and credible voices featuring expertly written and curated editorial within the media industry.