The Late Show With Stephen Colbert - House Band Producer
ViacomCBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
House Band Producer
This is a full-time position with The Late Show. This person is the liason between Jon Batiste, the House Band (HB) and production teams of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (LSSC). This person is responsible for the band, which is led by Jon; for making sure the day-to-day band-related needs of the show are met; and that the band's creative voice is heard on both broadcast and digital. Three years experience in music production or equivalent required. TV experience a plus. Below are the many areas in which the House Band Producer must work:
JON / BAND:
• Pitch creative ideas to Jon and band for content on broadcast and digital. Work with Jon and HB on their creative ideas, and present to the writers/producers. Once approved, work with the band on their vison, understand that vision, and work with production to make that vision happen. Facilitate production meetings, schedule shoots, etc.
• Work with creative and digital team on ways Jon HB can be involved creatively in comedy bits or other scripted material.
• Filter and present to Jon HB any requests or pitches from production.
• Act as liaison between Jon, the band, the show and when needed, Jon's management, to ensure all parties are heard and needs are met.
• Act as gatekeeper for the band's schedule. Oversee planning of meetings as needed with Jon and the band, between the band and production, and weekly schedule for the band.
• Work with the HB assistant and Jon's MGMT to make sure Jon's personal and show schedules align.
• Be an organizational powerhouse.
• Facilitate weekly band rehearsal and make sure correct materials are in place.
• Work closely with production, and deal with any issues that may arise.
• Work with the show to make sure the band has a comfortable environment in which to work.
• Work with audio to ensure both the band and the show are happy with each night's performance.
• Lay out a production schedule to ensure that the house band is being used to its full potential, including time needed for but not limited to digital pieces, field pieces and any other production element.
COLD OPEN / PRODUCTION PRE-RECORDS:
• Be a liaison between the band and the cold open team to make sure work gets done efficiently and correctly.
• Field requests as necessary.
• Maintain recording studio space as needed.
• Double check house hand assistants work.
• Ensure iPads are placed, set lists are distributed and house band and Jon are back stage on time.
• Work with Jon and the music clearance department on songs as requested by Jon.
• Make production aware of any changes that have to do with the band.
• Keep track of production changes and communicate to band.
• Keep track of set lists and cues.
• Keep track of how many instruments are being played by each musician (doubles).
• Double check daily calendar sent out by HB Assistant.
• Make sure Jon and band are aware of any important production notes for the next day.
HOUSE BAND GUESTS AND SIT-IN ARTISTS:
• Discuss with Jon who he'd like to have featured in the guest band.
• Line up dates and work with artists' management to facilitate.
• Work with production to make sure band / guest have everything they need.
• Work with accounting to get the artist paid.
• Work with HR to make sure COVID protocol is in place.
• Train guest artist on show production.
HOUSE BAND REQUESTS VIA GUEST ARTISTS:
• Work with music talent team to facilitate house band players on guest artist segments.
• Work with artist management to make sure they have correct HB players for what they are requesting.
• Assist in scheduling rehearsals / facilitating correct instrumentation.
HOUSE BAND ASSISTANT:
• Train / oversee house band assistant to make sure band's and production's needs are met.
• Work with house band assistant to make sure band is aware of any schedule changes.
• Check in with assistant to keep track of the band's rider and make sure everything they need is in green rooms.
• Ensure house band assistant understands everything clearly from house band duties to how the show works internally.
• Schedule weekly check-in.
• P-card accounting.
• AFM Contracts / Payment.
• Send band hours and doubles at the end of the week.
Proficiency needed in:
• Google docs.
• Google cal.
• Microsoft suite.
• Three years experience in music production or equivalent required.
• TV experience a plus.