Lead Writer, Trending Sports
CBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CBS Sports Digital -- a portfolio of premium digital sports media properties including CBSSports.com, 247Sports, MaxPreps and SportsLine -- is consistently ranked a top-three sports property, reaching more than 70M sports fans monthly across desktop, mobile, and connected TV devices. Our team is a diverse and agile group that effectively collaborates with the business to shape our department.
Overview & Responsibilities:
Our team at CBSSports.com is looking for a creative lead writer who has their finger on the pulse of the sports world and have the skills to report and write about it in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment! The ideal candidate has great working knowledge of all sports as well as sports gambling and can write any kind of sports story in a creative way with a fun and tongue-in-cheek voice.
The lead writer will be responsible for the daily CBS Sports HQ AM Edition newsletter along with other duties. The role may be part of podcasts and video as well. The ability to synthesize information on complex stories and relay it quickly and efficiently to a passionate, invested sports audience is key.
Specific Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Author a daily newsletter that focuses on sports news, gambling and the culture surrounding both
• Formulate informed and entertaining analysis and commentary off the latest sports news and hottest topics
• Write about and create content around what is relevant and important to our CBSSports.com audience
• Forecast and anticipate trends in audience interest and consumption habits
• Driving audience to the newsletter and from the newsletter to other key CBS Sports HQ properties
• Write features that can range from fun and quirky to deeply analytical to informative
• A bachelor's degree in journalism or a communications-related field (or equivalent training & experience)
• 5 years working in a journalism or writing-related field
• Experience with sports gambling content and research
• Experience working and writing in a content management system
• Newsletter writing experience
• A strong portfolio of prior work in a similar field
• Demonstrated ability for strategic editorial thinking
• Schedule flexibility and able to work nights and weekends, as needed