Senior Director, Editorial, Creative & Strategy
ViacomCBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic consumer brands, its portfolio includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount , Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others. The company delivers the largest share of the U.S. television audience and boasts one of the industry's most important and extensive libraries of TV and film titles. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, ViacomCBS provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions for partners on five continents.
Senior Director-level creative leader who manages and encourages the editorial staff and freelance writers while multitasking daily. Projects include but are not limited to: B2B global presentations, employee engagement campaigns, companywide events, websites, portals, multimedia internal communications, videos, merchandise, naming and tagline development. Working closely with the VP, Editorial and the editorial team, this person sets the strategy, messaging and brand positioning for each project. The Senior Director, Editorial provides creative direction to the writer/designer teams, ensuring that only the best work is delivered to the client.
The Senior Director, Editorial conceives, develops and writes original creative print, video, digital and merchandise materials for ViacomCBS corporate departments, including Human Resources, ViacomCBS HQ, Ad Sales, Content Distribution and other internal partners. This position collaborates across the entire Creative & Strategy department, partnering with copy, design, video and project management experts to present, build and complete compelling campaigns and experiences for every client.
• Encouraging and supporting the Editorial/Strategy team so that they continue to build fantastic work.
• Leading, directing, editing and writing original creative work that effectively communicates the ViacomCBS brand, businesses and priorities.
• Collaborating within and across various subject areas and departments, including design, digital, video, project management and production.
• Meeting deadlines, working well under pressure and balancing many projects at the same time.
• Writing, editing and directing the team in a variety of styles (ad copywriting, speech writing, long-form editorial writing, etc.) and voices while adhering to the ViacomCBS brand (on most projects).
• Presenting work.
• Leading, coaching and managing effective teams.
• Managing workload and resources.
• Growing talent.
• Evaluating, improving and implementing processes.
• Staying up to date with company and industry priorities and news.
• Bachelor's degree required. English or journalism major preferred. Master's degree in English or writing helpful, but not required.
• Minimum 10 years of professional experience setting creative and strategic direction, copywriting and copy editing, and managing writers.
• Experience in an agency or a creative studio with a body of work across print, digital and video. Portfolio required.
• Experienced at giving and receiving feedback.
• Lead members of the Editorial/Strategy staff.
• Work closely with VP, Editorial and coordinate with the Editorial team on projects, giving them clear and strong direction.
• Ability to conceive, develop and write across all media, including print, video, digital and merchandise.
• Inspire and encourage innovative thought.
• Ensure all phases of production meet quality standards.
• Thinks strategically and has insight to connect the dots.
• Strong big-picture thinking and excellent conceptual thinking and writing.
• Ability to take complex information and communicate it efficiently.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively.
• Excellent presentation and pitch skills.
• Excellent writing, copywriting, organizational and communication skills.
• Experienced leadership skills and ability to set creative and strategic direction.
• Knowledge of the marketplace and love of pop culture.
• Strategic branding and marketing skills.
• The ability to manage up, build and lead teams and coordinate staff.
• Extensive management and/or mentoring experience.
• Strong presentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work with design staff.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to formulate budgets and schedules and adhere to deadlines.
• Knowledge of Apple operating systems and experience with software including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Keynote, Outlook and Slack.
• Can proofread and edit own work; detail oriented.