Senior Counsel / Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs, Nickelodeon
Full Time Job
Overview and Responsibilities
Nickelodeon is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The company includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products, online, recreation, books and feature films.
Nickelodeon’s U.S. television network is seen in more than 90 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for 20 consecutive years.
We are searching for Legal Talent at the Senior Counsel and Vice President levels to join the Nickelodeon team in New York and California.
As a part of the Business & Legal Affairs Team for Nickelodeon, you will provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services for animation and live action programming as well as licensed programming, with a focus on original animation development and production and acquisitions. You'll be handling a heavy volume of development and production matters relating to both “in-house” and third party productions. The position reports to Senior Vice President, Nickelodeon.
include the following:
• Structure, draft and negotiate, with minimal supervision, a high volume of development and production agreements for animated and live action projects, including development agreements, production services agreements, executive producer agreements, writer agreements, director agreements, co-production agreements, license agreements and rights acquisition agreements.
• Structure, draft and negotiate, with minimal supervision, a high volume of license agreements for acquired programming.
• Provide production legal for varied productions, working with a broad range of departments (Production Management, Labor & Employment/Production Risk Team, Risk Management, Litigation, Music & Media Licensing and Pre-Broadcast Content Review) to implement production legal policies and procedures.
• Advise various departments for the network (Programming, Production, Marketing and Promotion, Rights Management, etc.) in connection with complex business and legal matters.
• Review and analyze chain of title and other rights issues.
• Review scripts and programming for clearances and potential legal risks.
• Develop and craft deal structures, parameters and templates and forms.
• Manage relationships with key managers, agencies and attorneys in the entertainment community.
• JD and a member of the New York or California Bar
• Senior Counsel candidates require a minimum of 5 -7 years of experience and Vice President candidates require a minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience
• Comprehensive knowledge of contract law and intellectual property rights, as well as a mastered capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning, is required.
• A deep understanding of entertainment industry customs and practices and possess the proven ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys.
• Working knowledge of television industry agreements, guild and union regulations (Animation Guild, Local 839 I.A.T.S.E, WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA) is helpful.
• Ability to multi-task under pressure, lead a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly and operate autonomously within corporate parameters.
• Ability to build strong internal client relationships, effectively advise senior-level executives under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong client satisfaction through quick turnaround and firm decision-making.
• Collaboration, positivity and a team oriented spirit are a must
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills.
Viacom has a clear vision: to be the premier destination where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best entertainment to our global audiences, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees. Through television, film, digital content, live events, merchandise, studio production and more, we connect with billions of people in nearly every country in the world. At Viacom, you will have the opportunity to develop your professional career at the home of iconic brands like BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount and others.