Head Of Content Legal & Compliance
This was removed by the employer on 8/31/2021 4:00:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Head Of Content Legal & Compliance jobs in London-UK
Search all Head Of Content Legal & Compliance postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Head Of Content Legal & Compliance?
Full Time Job
Unleash your potential in a place you belong
Come and join a culture where content, people and ideas merge. An exciting and open place where your talents can truly thrive. Ready? This could be the start of something special.
At ViacomCBS, we have an iconic portfolio of brands, like Paramount, MTV, Nickelodeon, and many more - but it's our employees that make it unique. You could be the next addition to our incredible team.
The Business and Legal Affairs (''BALA'') team in London are expanding the Content Legal & Compliance division to support its award winning commissioned content and in-house production house delivering to the entire portfolio of well-known channel brands and platforms. Channel 5's strategy has led to a 40% increase in originations over the last 5 years, delivering over 2000 hours of originated content including popular factual, specialist factual, drama and current affairs.
This hugely trusted and well respected team works with commissioners, producers and editors across an enviable expanse of programming and content appealing to every demographic of the UK audience, in both public service and commercial broadcasting and content delivery.
This role reports to VP, Business & Legal Affairs, UK Cluster (i.e. GC equivalent). It is a key role in the BALA team with leadership responsibility for the UK's Content Legal & Compliance function. This role will manage the legal and regulatory compliance of ViacomCBS's content across multiple platforms and brands, including broadcast, online, and marketing output. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and leading Viacom's content lawyers, advisors and compliance personnel.
A genuinely collaborative lawyer and leader is sought to:
• lead and manage the team of content legal and compliance experts, in-house editors and video-technicians delivering a well governed risk based approach with clear escalation processes to ensure compliance with all laws impacting the creation and publication of content across multiple jurisdictions, as well as the OFCOM, BCAP and ASA regulations together with the standards reflecting ViacomCBS's values, in a fast paced, reactive scheduling and planning creative environment;
• actively manage relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including commissioning and production, marketing, press, commercial advertising, sponsorship and events teams as well as all regulatory and other industry bodies;
• rapidly assess potential legal and compliance risks, as well as commercial issues, both pre and post publication, across multiple genres including live output, journalism and news programming, which may require management and appropriate mitigation;
• advise on a broad range of issues that can include defamation, contempt, privacy, data protection, intellectual property as well as child protection and contributor duty of care, commercial references in programmes and teleshopping, sponsorship, product placement, broadcast competitions, election broadcasting, editorial ethics and such other matters that arise from time to time;
• lead on the conduct and disposal of any dispute, litigation or investigation concerning any aspect of ViacomCBS's content;
• review policies, guidelines and protocols for the management of programmes, proposing solutions to achieve business objectives while skilfully managing legal and practical business considerations;
• notify and escalate as appropriate high-profile, business critical and/or high-risk legal matters and steps required to resolve them by providing clear, tailored and concise advice;
• maintain oversight of all external law firms and experts required to support the responsibilities of the Content Legal & Compliance team and ensure that spend is aligned with the company's cost efficiency goals;
• embrace the 'One ViacomCBS' approach encouraging collaboration and team working across multiple business teams to achieve corporate objectives;
• drive best practice and thought leadership across the BALA function as a member of the BALA's senior management team;
• lead and develop team members, promoting the ViacomCBS values, supporting a culture of inclusion.
What skills do you need
• Qualified lawyer (barrister or solicitor) with significant post qualification experience in legal/regulatory compliance issues as they relate publication and broadcast; or media litigation
• Track record in managing a multi-disciplined team, capable of building and maintaining effective working relationships across complex organisations
• In-depth understanding of media law and regulation including defamation, contempt, privacy, copyright, data protection and the Ofcom Broadcasting Code and Guidance
• Experience of advising producers, commissioners and editors in relation to media law and regulation as it affects both pre and post publication of programmes, online and other media content
• Experience of media litigation – defendant and/or claimant work
• Experience of drafting/reviewing programme protocols, guidance notes, contributor contracts/releases and access agreements
• Approachable, professional persona able to collaborate easily in a friendly and lively environment
• Skilled communicator, comfortable and effective at all levels
• A good listener, willing to take on all details and ask the right questions, before approaching matters in a practical and analytical way
• Solid attention to detail and confidence in handling strict deadlines, providing an excellent service to key stakeholders around the business
• Creative problem solving skills with strong and sound judgement in evaluating legal, editorial, management and leadership issues
• A passion for leadership and freedom of expression
• A committed and resilient team player with an ability to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines
We offer an inclusive environment where you can really be yourself and find your niche. You'll get to work alongside streaming platforms you can be proud of, with content that touches millions of lives. Plus, you can learn about the things we're doing to make the industry more sustainable, and enjoy lots of perks:
• A monthly streaming fund
• All the health and financial benefits you'd expect, and some you wouldn't
• Flexibility to own the way you work
• Mental health activities and support
• All manner of BBQs, socials and events
What are you waiting for? Put in your application!
Our values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
• Optimism & Determination | We share a positive belief that we can navigate and thrive in the landscape ahead
• Inclusivity & Collaboration | We Embrace new and divers voices, act with care and work together to capture opportunities and manager through challenges
• Agility & Adaptability | We think entrepreneurially, are resilient in change and move quickly to anticipate and create what's next