Director, Business Intelligence and Analytics
ViacomCBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Director, Business Intelligence and Analytics, CBS News
The Director of Business Intelligence and Analytics for CBS News Digital is responsible for providing regular reporting, analysis and decision-support to all levels of stakeholders throughout the News business unit.
Under the leadership of the Director of BI & Analytics, analysts are responsible for identifying business, editorial, and product opportunities, challenges, and trends and communicating those findings concisely, effectively and in a timely manner.
The Director is responsible for socializing the team's work and for providing maximum value to stakeholder groups throughout the organization. This will require constant and ongoing assessment, mentoring and team development to ensure the highest standards of data rigor, methodological transparency and data storytelling are always being improved and developed within the BI team.
• Support the News General Manager and other Senior Leads in strategic and tactical decision-making and understanding the health of the business through Key Performance Indicators
• Present the team's work (in writing and orally) to key stakeholders and manage the pipeline/ inflow of planned and ad hoc requests from stakeholders
• Create, communicate and steer annual roadmaps containing key short, midterm and long term projects that add value to the business
• Build a robust revenue-centric suite of reporting tools
• People managing, hiring, and development; conducting regular skill assessments and job development sessions with team members in order to help them grow
• Maintain and enhance the team's reputation for delivering high-impact insights and recommendations through data storytelling
• Direct team to deliver ever-deeper and more sophisticated analyses by partnering with Research, Data Products, Competitive Intelligence and other internal resources to holistically illuminate an area of interest on behalf of stakeholders
• Mentor & facilitate regular training sessions with BI teams to raise their level of proficiency around data story-telling, ''metrics that matter'', machine learning models and when/ how to apply them to their every day work
• Evaluate, coach, mentor BI Managers, Analysts to ensure their work:
• Is meaningful and adds value to the business
• Is clear, concise and easy to understand (i.e. ''tells a story'')
• Is representative of best practices in analysis, information hierarchy and visualization techniques
• Research, assess and evaluate the digital news landscape/ competitors to understand areas of opportunity.
• Nurture stakeholder relationships with News General Manager and leaders in order to formulate reporting & analytic requirements that meet their needs. Create reporting plans and request proper resources for achieving reporting plan
• Lead, guide, educate, and critique the team's work with an eye towards improving the value it is delivering to stakeholders
• Create and deliver narratives that are rich in insights, data rigor and recommendations tailored to any data customer up to and including executives
What you bring to the team:
You have -
• BA/BS. 7 years experience in web analytics, online media industry.
• Strong experience in web analytics, video analytics (Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics) and 3rd-party syndicated audience measurement services (comScore/ Nielsen)
• Understanding of web, native app, video measurement technology and standards
• Strong detail-orientation with a penchant for data accuracy and good grammar
• Exceptional communicator across all levels of the organization; able to effectively tell stories with data and present findings to a non-technical audience
You might also have -
• Strong mathematics, statistics background
• Ability to conduct data analysis using Python/ R
• Experience in Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) analytics and business models
• Experience using project management tools like those from Atlassian (JIRA, Confluence)
• Experience using Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery)
FUNCTION: Data and Research