Coordinator / Sr Coordinator, Production Rights & Clearances and Licensing Operations
ViacomCBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic consumer brands, its portfolio includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, CBS All Access, Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others. The company delivers the largest share of the U.S. television audience and boasts one of the industry's most important and extensive libraries of TV and film titles. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, ViacomCBS provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions for partners on five continents.
Overview and Responsibilities
The Production Clearances and Licensing Operations team is looking for a new team member at the Coordinator or Sr Coordinator level. In this role, you will work closely with Managers and above on the team to negotiate favorable rates for the use of third party elements across the Entertainment & Youth, Nickelodeon and BET brands for both long form and short form content. Working closely with Production (in-house and/or third party), Development, Brand Creative (Marketing), Digital, Social, Business Affairs and IP Litigation this position works at the heart of production.
• Manage multiple priorities at a time related to licensing for series from pre-production to post; collaborate with client partners at all stages of creative and production process; be proactive in identifying rights issues/necessary permissions, and propose alternative cost-savings and process improvement solutions during content production and execution.
• Execute copyright research and facilitate clearance requests; Negotiate, review and accurately draft licenses and permissions with copyright owners of film, TV, photography, stock and viral footage, games, books, magazines, fonts, etc.
• Collaborate with Management on complex license agreements
• Negotiate with licensors via email, phone, and in-person.
• Maintain tracking reports for all assigned programs/projects and ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner. Regularly report clearance costs to Production and Production Management via tracking reports.
• Attend greenlight meetings with Business and Legal Affairs, Production and Development teams.
• Review all deliverables in connection to Third Party productions, including, but not limited to Guest and Location Releases and all Licenses for Third Party content.
To be successful in the role, you will have
• Strong working knowledge in licensing third party IP (footage, photos, fonts, graphics, etc) for use in linear and digital programming, advertising, promotions, and brand integrations.
• Established relationships within the licensing community with Films Studios, Photos Houses, etc.
• Passion and comprehensive understanding of the media industry, trends and issues; ability to find opportunities for new partnerships and cross-promotional engagements.
• An understanding of the production process and practical needs of Media Production.
• 2 years’ experience in a production company, advertising agency, film studio, television network, music publisher, or record label. Equivalent work experience in a music department/licensing capacity highly preferable.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred. A focus in Television, Film, Communications, Publishing, Marketing, Business or similar preferred.
• Prior negotiating experience required.
• An understanding of licensing terminology along with a comprehension of legal concepts and contracts.
• Excellent written and verbal communication. interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Willingness to tackle and resolve issues, demonstrating sound judgement and paying great attention to detail.
• Tech-savvy individual proficient in all current document and database systems.