Coordinator, Production Clearances, Licensing & Operations
ViacomCBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Production Clearances and Licensing Operations (PCLO) Team negotiates costs and secures rights for footage, photos and other third-party media used in programming. They research and review copyright ownership information, draft, and review and prepare licensing contracts for execution and analyze programming rights information for internal and external clients. They vet content to ensure that rights and clearances are in place.
We are seeking a Coordinator to join our PCLO team! The Coordinator will be involved in negotiating favorable rates and securing rights to third party materials (footage, photos, fonts, etc.) for use across multiple projects; working closely and interacting regularly with production, production management and within the business and legal affairs department; finalizing, recording, and tracking rights information and all aspects related to licensing; and functioning as a project leader on special assignments. Roles open in New York.
• Work across multiple clearance teams on projects that may include long and short form programming for linear and digital platforms, promos, third party productions, in-house productions, re-clearances, podcasts, consumer products, and more
• Facilitate clearance requests by working closely with content producers in researching copyright ownership and by researching rights to pre-existing ViacomCBS material as necessary
• Guide and advise content producers (internal and third party) throughout all stages of production. Work as a collaborator, providing realistic advice and suggesting alternatives while at the same time implementing ViacomCBS policy and practices
• Negotiate licenses and permissions with copyright owners of film, TV, photography, viral videos, video games, digital content, books, magazines, etc.
• License in rights that cover ViacomCBS' exhibition across multiple platforms including linear, digital, social media, mobile apps, games, podcasts, and more.
• Working alongside Legal, review content for legal matters including Public Domain, Fair Use, Defamation and Rights of Publicity
• Collect, review, and approve show deliverables including license agreements, guest releases, etc. to ensure they conform to negotiated terms
• Regularly communicate clearance costs to Production via tracking grids. Work closely with Production proactively suggesting cost-saving options and alternatives
• Report discrepancies or missing information to Production and follow up to ensure accurate completion
• Maintain contract files and tracking reports for all assigned programs/projects and ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner
• Vet content prior to posting, to ensure necessary clearances are in place and route to ViacomCBS attorneys when necessary.
• Participate in workshops for client groups, and build and foster good working relationships within ViacomCBS and the licensing community
• Track and process all payments
• 1-3 years' experience in the television/music/entertainment field, preferably in a rights & clearances, or licensing capacity
• BA in Television, Film, Communications, Publishing, Business, or similar area preferred
• Ability to read and analyze license agreements
• Working knowledge of legal concepts related to licensing
• Expertise in licensing for all types of media platforms
• Prior negotiating experience a plus
• Established relationships within the licensing community
• Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
• Familiarity regarding Public Domain, Fair Use, Defamation and Rights of Publicity