Coordinator, Music and Media Licensing & Operations
ViacomCBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Overview and Responsibilities
Music & Media Licensing negotiates costs and secures rights for music and other media used in programming. They research and review copyright ownership information, draft and prepare music licensing contracts for execution and analyze programming rights information for internal and external clients.
We are seeking a Coordinator to join our Music and Media Licensing team! The Coordinator will work on Music licensing, Rights Clearance and Music Operations for Nickelodeon and other ViacomCBS brand projects assigned by two Vice Presidents.
Clearance projects could include long and short form programming for linear and digital platforms, promos, third party productions, in house productions, re-clearances and more. Music Operations projects could include cue sheet management, composer metadata and composer music deliverables, music publishing administration responsibilities and more. This role is based out of New York.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Facilitate clearance requests by working closely with content producers in researching copyright ownership and by researching rights to pre-existing ViacomCBS material as necessary.
• Negotiate favorable rates and secure rights to third party materials (music & other media) for use across multiple Nickelodeon and other ViacomCBS brands’ projects.
• Negotiate licenses and permissions with copyright owners of music, film, TV, photography, video games, digital content, books, magazines, record label content, artist management, etc. License in rights that cover ViacomCBS’ exhibition across multiple platforms including linear, digital, social media, mobile, apps , games etc.
• Guide and advise Third Party productions enforcing ViacomCBS’ policies throughout production.
• Regularly report clearance costs to Production and Production Management via tracking grids and over the phone/via email. Work closely with these areas and proactively suggest cost-saving options and alternatives.
• Work closely and communicate regularly with production, production management the Nickelodeon Music Department, and business and legal affairs.
• Vet content prior to posting to ensure necessary clearances are in place and route to ViacomCBS attorneys when necessary.
• Review releases and agreements to ensure that they conform to negotiated terms. Maintain contract files and tracking reports for all assigned programs/projects and ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner.
• Participate in workshops for client groups, and build and develop good working relationships within Viacom Media
• Networks and within the licensing community.
Show Deliverables (Non Music): Receive, review and approve non-music deliverables, including guest/location agreements, license agreements and talent agreements when applicable. Report discrepancies or missing information to Producers and follow up to insure proper completion.
Music Deliverables from Composers and Productions: Facilitate administration of music deliverables for Nickelodeon and other ViacomCBS brands. Receive and vet music metadata and music files from productions, composers, and music supervisors related to music placed in Nickelodeon and other ViacomCBS content.
Cue Sheet Management: Facilitate timely and accurate cue sheet deliveries from internal and external productions. Track, review, approve and submit cue sheets to Performance Rights Organizations and other for Nickelodeon and other ViacomCBS programming. Train and provide guidance on cue sheet requirements to content creators and cue sheet creators. Maintain cue sheet tracking reports and advise status of cue sheet delivery to internal partners and performing rights organizations. Assist in maintaining and improving proprietary cue sheet system.
• Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in television/music/entertainment field, preferably in a rights & clearances, or licensing capacity
• BA in Television, Film, Communications, Publishing, Business or similar preferred
• Prior negotiating experience a plus
• Ability to read and analyze license agreements
• Working knowledge of legal concepts related to licensing
• Expertise in licensing for all types of media platforms
• Comprehensive understanding of music rights
• Established relationships within the licensing community
• Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
• Strong knowledge and interest of the music business and current key issues in the industry
• Ability to draw conclusions from working knowledge of issues that impact the area of rights licensing including copyright & trademark law and union/guild issues
• Expertise with cue sheet creation and cue sheet reporting
ViacomCBS has a clear vision: to be the premier destination where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best entertainment to our global audiences, and we know our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees. Through television, film, digital content, live events, merchandise, studio production and more, we connect with billions of people in nearly every country in the world. At ViacomCBS, you will have the opportunity to develop your professional career at the home of iconic brands like BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount and others.