Coordinator - Creative Music & Licensing Strategy
Full Time Job
ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic consumer brands, its portfolio includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount , Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others. The company delivers the largest share of the U.S. television audience and boasts one of the industry's most important and extensive libraries of TV and film titles. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, ViacomCBS provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions for partners on five continents.
The Creative Music Strategy team is a full-service music-focused group that leads Music Strategy across the ViacomCBS Cable Brands. Our expertise includes Music Supervision and Licensing, Music Marketing and Music Operations. We partner with our content creators to develop the sound of our shows with artists, composers, songwriters, labels and publishers. We also operate and manage Viacom Music Publishing, Audio Releases/Soundtracks, the Viacom Music Library and external licensing opportunities.
This role negotiates favorable rates and secures rights and clearances for all music within programming across ViacomCBS' cable channels. They will work closely and interact regularly with production and content creators and communicate regularly with production, music supervisors, production management and within the business and legal affairs department. Finalize, record, and track rights information and all aspects related to licensing, including but not limited to, drafting licenses, payment processing and cue sheet review.
As needed, they will assist the creative team and liaise between Network execs and third party Music Supervisors to execute the Network's vision for the sound of the shows. Pitch music for projects and liaise between the Music Department and Production on 360 initiatives (eg; deals with emerging artists for theme songs). The will pitch Music Supervisors and Composer ideas for third party productions. Liaise between the development execs and production teams to budget for, place and fine tune music in productions. This role is based out of New York.
• Partner with Department SVP, VPs and Director to implement Creative Music Strategy across ViacomCBS content.
• Liaise between Network execs and third-party music supervisors to execute sound on shows and campaigns.
• Facilitate music clearance requests by working closely with content producers. Quickly and accurately research music copyright ownership.
• Negotiate favorable rates and secure rights to music for use within projects produced by ViacomCBS cable networks, licensing in rights that cover ViacomCBS' exhibition.
• Guide and advise in-house and Third Party productions on ViacomCBS' music policies throughout all stages of production.
• Regularly report music costs to Production and Production Management via tracking grids and over the phone/via email. Work closely with these areas and proactively suggest cost-saving options and alternatives.
• Work closely and communicate regularly with numerous internal groups including Production, Production Management, Music and Talent Department, Digital, Social, Marketing, Business and Legal Affairs.
• Vet content prior to posting/air to ensure that music use is as licensed.
• Music Deliverables: Facilitate administration of music deliverables for ViacomCBS brands. Receive and vet music metadata and music files from productions, composers, and music supervisors related to music placed in ViacomCBS content.
• Cue Sheets: Facilitate timely and accurate cue sheet deliveries from internal and external productions. Create accurate cue sheets, review and, approve cue sheets created by others. Train and provide guidance on cue sheet requirements to content creators and cue sheet creators.
• Participate in workshops for client groups, and build and foster good working relationships within Viacom Media Networks and within the licensing community.
Experience in television/music/entertainment field, preferably in a full-service music supervision, or music licensing capacity. Prior negotiating experience a plus.