Senior Content Lawyer
ViacomCBS Networks InternationalLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Unleash your potential in a place you belong
Come and join a culture where content, people and ideas merge. An exciting and open place where your talents can truly thrive. Ready? This could be the start of something special.
At ViacomCBS, we have an iconic portfolio of brands, like Paramount, MTV, Nickelodeon, and many more - but it's our employees that make it unique. You could be the next addition to our incredible team.
Is this the role for you?
The Business and Legal Affairs (''BALA'') team in London are expanding the Content Legal & Compliance division to support its award winning commissioned content and in-house production house delivering to the entire portfolio of well-known channel brands and platforms. Channel 5's strategy has led to a 40% increase in originations over the last 5 years, delivering over 2000 hours of originated content including popular factual, specialist factual, drama and current affairs.
This hugely trusted and well respected team works with commissioners, producers and editors across an enviable expanse of programming and content appealing to every demographic of the UK audience, in both public service and commercial broadcasting and content delivery.
What will you be doing?
We are looking for an enthusiastic, collaborative content lawyer or experienced compliance advisor to join the Content Legal & Compliance BALA team in London. The role includes:
• Working with in-house producers and commissioners to provide programme and online content legal and regulatory advice on a broad range of issues that can include defamation, contempt, privacy, data protection, intellectual property as well as regulatory compliance within the Ofcom Broadcasting Code, advertising standards and practices
• Understanding editorial ambition and direction to advise effectively on both pre- and post-broadcast and online publication across multiple genres, which includes live output, journalism and news programming
• Analysing and balancing the risks involved in the production and publication process identifying potential consequences that may result in regulator sanctions and/or legal liabilities, both criminal and civil
• Collaborating with the rest of the BALA team and UK business to work within governance protocols, exercising appropriate judgment and seeking guidance and advice from others, particularly when there is a new or complex issue to address
• Advising on child protection and contributor duty of care, commercial references in programmes and teleshopping, sponsorship, product placement, broadcast competitions, election broadcasting and such other matters that arise from time to time
• Advising on editorial ethics affecting programmes and online content
• Managing reviews into programme and online content issues pre-and post-broadcast
• Handling and drafting responses to complaints and regulatory investigations including Ofcom standards or fairness and privacy complaints
• Reviewing policies, guidelines and protocols for the management of programmes
• Attending and advising at recordings, and live and 'as- live' programmes
• Training internal staff and production companies on legal and compliance issues affecting programme and online content
• Pre- and post-litigation management including instructing counsel and external solicitors
• Liaising and working closely with commissioners, production companies, press, programme management, business affairs, creatives, marketing and management
• Where required, supervising junior members of the team, including the nurturing and development of other content lawyers, compliance supervisors, legal trainees and other junior roles
• Keeping up to date on the evolution of the law and practice in this area
• Embracing the 'One ViacomCBS' approach and encourage collaboration and team working
• Being an ambassador for all VCNI channels, internally and externally
• Adopting and promoting the ViacomCBS values and support a culture of inclusion
• What are we looking for?
• Qualified lawyer (barrister or solicitor) or experienced broadcast compliance advisor with expertise in legal/regulatory compliance issues as they relate to the creation and publication of content in the public service and commercial broadcasting space
• In-depth understanding of media law and regulation including defamation, contempt, privacy, copyright, data protection and the Ofcom Broadcasting Code and Guidance
• Experience of advising producers and commissioners pre- and post-broadcast on media law and regulation in relation to programmes and/or online and/or other media content
• Experience of media litigation – defendant and/or claimant work
• Experience of drafting/reviewing programme protocols, guidance notes, contributor contracts/releases and access agreements
• An approachable, professional persona with the ability to collaborate easily in a friendly and lively environment
• Skilled communicator comfortable adapting your style to be effective at all levels
• A good listener, willing to take on all details and ask the right questions, before approaching matters in a practical and analytical way
• Solid attention to detail and confidence in handling strict deadlines, providing an excellent service to key stakeholders around the busines
• Creative problem solving skills with strong and sound judgement in evaluating legal and editorial issues
• A passion for freedom of expression
• A committed and resilient teammate with an ability to work effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines
• A willingness to learn quickly, adapt when appropriate and to apply new findings to deliver practical solutions
We offer an inclusive environment where you can really be yourself and find your niche. You'll get to work alongside streaming platforms you can be proud of, with content that touches millions of lives. Plus, you can learn about the things we're doing to make the industry more sustainable, and enjoy lots of perks:
• A monthly streaming fund
• All the health and financial benefits you'd expect, and some you wouldn't
• Flexibility to own the way you work
• Mental health activities and support
• All manner of BBQs, socials and events
What are you waiting for? Put in your application!
Our values are intertwined and work together to drive the business outcomes we seek, and once combined we believe these will power our company forward.
Optimism & Determination
• We share a positive belief that we can navigate and thrive in the landscape ahead
Inclusivity & Collaboration
• We Embrace new and divers voices, act with care and work together to capture opportunities and manager through challenges
Agility & Adaptability
• We think entrepreneurially, are resilient in change and move quickly to anticipate and create what's next