Technical Solutions Manager
This was removed by the employer on 9/29/2019 3:55:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Search for Technical Solutions Manager jobs in London-UK
Search all Technical Solutions Manager postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Technical Solutions Manager?
Full Time Job
Department: Viacom International UK Digital Team
Manager: Senior Director, Platforms and Solutions, UK Digital Team
Job Title: Technical Solutions Manager
Location 17-29 Hawley Crescent, Camden Town, London NW1 8TT
WHO ARE WE
We’re Viacom International Media Networks UK & Ireland, home to 20 TV channels that offer the very best in music, entertainment, comedy and kids programming through our MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Channel 5 and BET brands. Together these brands reach nearly 30 million homes in the UK and Ireland. Viacom brands are seen globally in more than 705 million households in 169 territories and 37 languages via more than 184 locally programmed and operated TV channels and more than 550 digital media and mobile TV properties.
WHO ARE YOU
There are lots of people here doing all sorts of jobs and we believe that having all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds makes this a great place to work. We have a number of Employee Resource Groups that look to support our employees from all walks of life and who face common challenges in the workplace and we hold tons of events all your round to nurture the best possible, inclusive environment
WHAT IS THE ROLE
This role is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast paced, commercially driven technology team, alongside a number of other technology specialists and supplier partners.
You’ll be passionate about the practical application of technology in the entertainment sector, with a professional or personal interest in online video delivery in particular. You will likely have a background in software development or a closely related technical discipline with some experience in system design, but are looking for a role with a broader remit where you can employ your skills across the entire technology estate.
Working within the Technical Solutions Team within the Viacom International UK Digital Team you’ll be responsible for working on the design and development of the core systems responsible for delivering Channel 5’s content to its audiences across an increasing range of digital platforms and devices.
Your primary day-to-day responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Gather and analyse business requirements in liaison with internal and external stakeholders to design, deliver and iterate best fit online video solutions that are in line with Channel 5’s product roadmap and longer term technology strategy.
• Through formal and informal selection processes, perform evaluation of developers, service suppliers and product vendors based on both the suitability of their technical solutions and consideration of the cost of implementation and support with a comparison of rent, buy or build approaches.
• Perform technical vendor management across a range of incumbent technology service providers, including developers, content processing providers, hosting and network suppliers.
• Take the role of product owner in the development by both internal and third party development teams of technology solutions for Channel 5, specifying stories and test cases, and be responsible for user acceptance.
• Specify integration points between vendors’ solutions, existing Channel 5 platforms and other dependent third parties e.g. syndication partners.
• Work with operational teams to ensure products are designed to be supported operationally, helping to define support processes and the handover from development/integration to operational readiness.
• Be a subject matter expert and point of contact for the architecture of the VoD delivery systems , providing technical consultancy to internal teams and external suppliers through documentation and workshops and where necessary help with hands-on investigation and troubleshooting of operational problems and incidents.
• Keep abreast of industry trends, new products and technical developments and advise on their impact, relevance and benefit to Channel 5.
• Design and development of basic scripts and applications to support Proof of Concepts and internal systems.
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED
• Educated to degree level or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering or very similar technical discipline.
• Self-motivated and highly organised, able to work well within a team, be flexible and manage time effectively against competing pressures.
• Commercially focused, with an awareness of the impact of technology decisions on business priorities.
• Strong oral and written communication skills. Able to influence and communicate at all levels within the company, with external customers, and third party suppliers.
• Understanding of the principles of origin hosting, the use of content distribution networks and other distribution/caching techniques, with hands on experience with an open-source stack (LAMP or similar) and knowledge and experience of cloud based systems highly desirable.
• Experience of software design and development, particularly based on web/internet technologies with use of APIs and service-oriented architectures (SOA) highly desirable.
• Experience of Agile application development processes including definition of stories and acceptance criteria.
• Knowledge of VOD workflows and OTT delivery, including video encoding/transcoding, streaming protocols and DRM/content security schemes.
• Experience with multi-device/multi-platform services and vendors (e.g. web/mobile/set-top box/television) an advantage.
• Experience with any of the following technologies is an advantage:
- Cloud-based hosting e.g. Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, MS Azure
- Container technologies e.g. Docker, Kubernetes
- Networking standards e.g. HTTP, SSL, DNS, routers
- Content Delivery e.g. Origin Storage, CDN
- Databases e.g. MySQL
- Web server technologies e.g. Apache, Varnish, Nginx
- Web application frameworks and Content Management Systems e.g. Ruby on Rails, Drupal, WordPress
- Design of REST APIs and metadata feeds (XML/JSON)
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery workflows
- Media Player technologies e.g. HTML5 video, MSE/EME, video advertising insertion
- Streaming protocols e.g. MPEG-DASH, Apple HLS, Smooth Streaming
- DRM e.g. PlayReady, Widevine, Apple FairPlay Streaming
- Video encoding and tools e.g. MPEG codec standards, ffmpeg, cloud encoding
- Mobile software development e.g. iOS, Android
WHAT ARE OUR BENEFITS
• Private Medical Insurance: You will be eligible for our full Private Medial Cover (From 3 months)
• Season Ticket Loan: We’ll pay for your season travel card up front and you can pay us back across the year
• TV Package Discount: If you subscribe for the likes of Sky and Virgin Media, we’ll get £20 off your bill
• Pension Scheme: You will be eligible for our Pension Scheme from day one, as long as you are contributing to this, we’ll top this up with a voluntary contribution from us
• Discounted Gym Membership: We offer discounts to a number of Gyms
• Discounts at Local Shops and Restaurants: Whether you need a new pair of shoes or just want something tasty for lunch, we partner with a number of local businesses to offer us a discounted rate
• Access to Reward Gateway: With heaps of discounts on everyday shops, restaurants and household suppliers
• Happy to talk flexible w