Senior Category Manager, Hard Lines & Promotions
Full Time Job
Vacancy Senior Category Manager, Hard Lines & Promotions
Division Consumer Products
Contract Full Time/Permanent
Consumer Products facilitates the development of merchandise for our Nickelodeon brands through UK retail outlets. Consumer Products license all types of products with the key areas being: Toys and Games, Books, Clothing and Accessories, Food and Promotions, Video/DVD and Video Games.
They do not manufacture product ranges internally but work with third party companies, “licensees”, who sell branded product at retail and pay a defined royalty on each item sold. Another key aspect of the Consumer Products business is liaising with all UK retailers from Tesco and Toys R Us to New Look to ensure they support Nickelodeon brands by stocking licensees’ product ranges.
Job Description & Overall Responsibilities
Based at our offices in Camden, and reporting into the Category Sales Director UK & Ireland, this role’s primary responsibilities include:
• Achieve/exceed UK/Ireland CP Net Revenue targets for Toys, Stationery, Confectionery, FMCG & Promotions categories
• Plan, develop and implement Toys, Stationery, FMCG & Promotional strategies
• Lead negotiations and oversee implementations of all licensing deals within relevant categories
• Identify key sales/revenue opportunities and growth accounts/partners & appropriate business models to deliver profitable revenue to Nick UK
• Responsible for the UK & Ireland Hard Lines P&L, supporting the Category Director through Budget Planning and Long Range Business planning.
• Responsible for the Licensee Quarterly forecast submission.
• Ensure that yearly financial sales targets are achieved/exceeded on Toys, Stationery, FMCG, Food, Technology & Promotional categories
• Identify key partners, categories and channels to build new business locally & where appropriate identify if these can/should become Regional/Global partners
• Work in conjunction with Global promotions & Toy team to develop strategy & deliver in-market opportunities via unique & efficient methods.
• Work with Global team & Nick nutritionist to unlock growth opportunities within the food category – identify key strategic partners to accelerate growth & Nick penetration in this ‘mega’ category
• Identify gaps in category/licensee portfolios across all relevant areas of responsibility
• Identify strategic partners with Licensing Director CP
• Provide Licensing Director CP and VP Cluster with a regular update on the state of the business at estimate and budget time with finance
• Work with Retail and Marketing team to maximize category and licensee opportunities
• Work closely with assigned licensees to develop the business and maximise sales
• Regular strategic meetings with partners to ascertain retail listings, present new opportunities, new product opportunities and keep forecast on track.
• Work closely with licensee and in-house creative on NPD/style guide interpretation
• Share in-market/property/broadcast updates with licensees to ensure all sales opportunities are maximised.
• Review forecasts with licensees on a quarterly basis
• Liaise with Franchise Management on property planning and strategy development,
• Be the UK contact for our Global Master Toy Partners, Mattel, Spinmaster, Hasbro and Playmates, owning the relationships and business development on a local level.
• Be the contact for the EMEA Toy business and lead these European Toy Licensees through contract management and negotiation,
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
• Experience in working in a fast paced and high pressure environment
• Experience of working in Licensing industry preferable but not essential.
• Strong sales and business development skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills – both internally & externally
• Strong time management & organizational skills
• Strong negotiation skills
• Positive & creative thinker that can assess & take calculated risks
• Confident self-starter, tenacious and persistent.
• Experienced Sales proessional
• Ability to work in a highly matrixed organization
• Leads or contributes to complex projects and develops solutions.
• Comprehensive experience of all relevant Microsoft business software, a solid grasp on new technology & the increasing importance/emergence of Social media
• This role will involve extensive travel within UK & Ireland & occasional European trips for appropriate Trade Fairs
At Viacom, we value and celebrate difference. We want to ensure that we fully represent the make-up of UK society in our workforce as well as bringing diverse perspectives to our business. We want to make sure Diversity and Inclusion are not just buzz words; we truly want to foster an authentic inclusive environment, where all employees feel that they can bring their whole selves to work.
This job description is a guide to the work you will be initially required to undertake. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role. This spec summaries the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform.
Our Recruitment Privacy Notice for Viacom entities in the EEA and Switzerland is available.
Nickelodeon is a top performing commercial kids TV network in the UK. Launched in 1993, it comprises seven dedicated award-winning entertainment channels for kids aged 2-12: Nickelodeon, NickToons, NickToons Replay, Nick Jr, Nick Jr 2, Nick Replay and Nickelodeon HD, the first HD kids channel in the Sky Kids Pack.
The Nickelodeon network now reaches more than 10 million viewers a month and is available in 12.7 million cable and satellite homes.
The company has built a diverse multi-platform business by putting kids first in everything it does and includes critically acclaimed and hugely popular television programming and production in the United Kingdom and around the world, plus consumer products, online, events, recreation and feature films. Nickelodeon UK is a joint venture between MTV Networks and BSkyB.
Nickelodeon network shows include: SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer, Penguins of Madagascar, live action hits iCarly and Victorious as well as UK produced Summer in Transylvania and Humf.