Manager, Creative Music & Licensing Strategy
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Manager of Creative Music and Licensing Strategy will work with SVP and VP to manage the use of music within Viacom content from a creative and licensing Point of View, working closely with Production, Development, Brand Creative, Digital, Social, MML and Business Affairs.
The ideal candidate will have strong creative music supervision skills and a comprehensive knowledge of music, its history, genres, and styles, and must be up to date with current music. This position reports to the VP Music and Media Licensing.
• Liaise between Network execs and external Music Supervisors to execute on the Networks vision for the sound of the shows. Pitch music for projects. Liaise between the Music Department and Production on 360 initiatives (eg; deals with emerging artists for theme songs). Pitch Music Supervisors and Composer ideas for third party productions. Oversee rescoring as needed.
• Music Supervise Viacom content including pilots, series and brand campaigns.
• Attend or oversee spotting sessions with show music supervisors. Review Music Supervisors source music grids, and keep Network informed and updated about deviations from allocated budgets and of any potential rights issues.
• Organize on-camera music needs involving musicians and singers. Oversee music arrangement, pre-recordings, music clearances. Oversee rates, line up, and invoicing for musicians, coordinate engineer and studio availability with production, and handle/oversee hiring of musicians. Check synchronization issues during on camera performances. Ensure that the Sound Team has the pre-record in the correct format.
• Collaborate with Licensing Team VPs and Production teams in the preparation of music budgets. Attend greenlight and music meetings with Production and Development teams. Work with SVP and VP to develop strategies, evaluate rights and implement procedures to work within production budgets.
• Manage Featured Placements – work with record labels and publishers and the internal Production Operations teams to drive the process from start to finish including oversight and management of the promotion of featured placements on air, on digital and across social, artist showcases and create new promotional opportunities across brands.
• Ensure that music is cleared, and rights needed are secured by working with the licensing team when clearing music. Communicate Viacom music policy to producers. Work in tandem with the Music Strategy Group when making deals with labels and publishers.
• Work with composers to create original music for projects. Partner with VP and SVP and Music and Media Licensing team to negotiate deals for theme songs and Composers; mediating between Production teams and Composers for publishing, registration, PRO and physical music delivery.
• Ensure that Productions execute on Network music cue sheet requirements, and other music related deliverables, ensuring that accurate cue sheets are delivered on time.
• Support SVP on Soundtrack and Digital release initiatives.
• Support the Viacom Music Library team on music creation and internal marketing and pitching.
• Minimum of 5-7 years in both a Music Supervisory and Licensing Capacity in the television or film industry with prior management experience
• Minimum of 2-3years and heavy negotiation skills/experience.
• Bachelor's degree in Radio, TV, Film, Music, Communications, Publishing or Business preferred.
• Master’s degree in Music Business, TV, Film, Communications, or Business preferred.
• Have a comprehensive knowledge of the music business and current key issues in the industry
• Understand the creative and practical needs of Music Supervisors, TV Producers, Composers, Artists, Record Labels, Music Publishers, PROs, Music Clearance, Music Agents, Music Administrators and Music Business Affairs.
• Be highly skilled at all aspects of licensing music for television, digital, brand creative, promos and soundtrack platforms.
• Have deep knowledge and understanding of the creative process of music production and production of television/digital/social media content
• Have a wide range of established film and TV contacts at record labels and music publishers, Performance Rights Organizations and with music supervisors, composers and music producers
• Understand digital music distribution and have relationships with the digital music platforms and have firsthand expertise at all aspects of releasing music digitally (technical, admin, marketing)
• Have excellent communication and people skills. Have good diplomacy and negotiation skills
• Be able to problem-solving and be highly organized
• Be able to remain calm in stressful situations and be able to work to deadlines
• Be able to grow, lead and motivate a highly effective and cohesive team
• Ability to make effective presentations on complex topics to senior management and employees.
• Ability to effectively negotiate deals with licensors via phone and in-person. Must be able to effectively present and communicate information regarding rights issues clearly across all levels and areas of the company.
• Strong interpersonal skills to supervise and develop staff (eg; must be able to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints).
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations, eg; budgeting, tracking reports, controlled portions of compositions/fees.
• Ability to accurately analyze contracts and license agreements.
• Ability to draw conclusions from working knowledge of issues which impact the area of rights licensing including copyright & trademark law and union/guild issues.