Legal Administrative Assistant - Business & Legal Affairs
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Administrative assistant to a legal team that provides business & legal support to the business unit responsible for overseeing the day-to-day business and legal affairs for channel programming.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include:
• Word processing; tracking and administering the execution of agreements; drafting agreements and other documents (under supervision); scanning and profiling agreements into document database; preparing redline versions of agreements; proofreading, emailing, photocopying, faxing and mailing agreements, letters, cover sheets and other documentation; preparing and updating documentation and reports; preparing routine and complex correspondence; handling internal and external document distributions; and proactively maintaining status reports/team calendars.
• Circulating, tracking, maintaining, following-up, drafting (with attorney supervision), proofreading, revising and distributing documents including contracts, correspondence, status charts and reports.
• Organizing and maintaining records and files for centralized legal filing system and individual attorneys’ office files.
• Scheduling meetings; answering and screening telephone calls; prioritizing mail and other communications; processing T&E reports; ordering supplies and arranging office services; coordinating travel arrangements; and performing administrative errands.
• Assisting in planning of department events and outings; scheduling & booking conference rooms; coordinating internal and external meetings; and responding to facility issues. Will be responsible for updating and revising business and internal contacts on a continuous basis.
• Initiating communications internally and externally, via telephone, faxes and emails to effectuate processing of agreements and other types of client service. Will work closely with attorneys to facilitate client requests from start to finish. Must understand deadlines, issues, etc. and effectively communicate with team attorneys. This person will be responsible for communicating across VMN's Business & Legal Affairs Department as well as to others in various departments and all levels within VMN, including senior executives.
• Must be able to understand and quickly execute assignments and independently follow through on multiple tasks. Quick turnaround time on most assignments required.
• Must have the flexibility to work overtime as needed.
• 3-5 years of experience in a legal capacity required; law firm experience preferred
• BA or other undergraduate degree preferred
• High proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, PowerPoint and document management systems such as eDocs
• Experience with legal document management software and redlining software (e.g., Workshare)
• Display tremendous attention to detail including exceptional proofreading skills
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills including, without limitation, maintaining composure and a professional demeanor while
• calmly and efficiently handling a large volume of phone calls and paperwork
• Exceptional organizational skills with ability to multitask, properly prioritize and meet deadlines
• Highly motivated and resourceful self-starter with excellent follow-through skills
• Proven ability to maintain positive attitude and work collaboratively in a demanding and fast paced environment
• Ability to read and understand basic form legal documents
• Ability to exercise solid business judgment and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to anticipate and properly resolve administrative issues/problems without relying on senior executives input or direction, understanding when senior executive input/direction is appropriate and/or required