Director, Program Management
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
This position is responsible for the release management activities within the Video, User Platform, Architecture, Personalization and Eden within Viacom CBS's Digital Org and alignment across Ad ops, Analytics and Privacy who sit withing the ViacomCBS Tech Org.
The Shared Services roadmap is the highest priority area of focus in the Owned and Operated (O&O) Digital area and has the biggest impact for the brands and their consumers (end to end). Within the very large scope of Shared Services are streaming video (encoding, delivery, and security for web, native app, and emerging platforms), advertising (display, video, and sponsorships), and commercial analytics (content consumption and usage) across all ViacomCBS brands globally. The scope of the User Platform studio includes our TV Everywhere components and identity and personalization services. The person in this role also provides program-level release management support across multiple Agile technology teams in collaboration with the brands, ad sales, brand and corporate research, business development, content distribution, data strategy, and security.
The Director may directly lead all aspects of certain projects and operational (ops) activities, while supervising both Program Managers and Senior Program Managers who manage the others. He/she must be able to identify issues proactively, resolve raised conflicts, and work across the organization to ensure smooth execution of his/her area's project and ops activities.
This position is responsible for working with Product Management, Engineering, and Technical leadership to facilitate the adoption and execution of software products throughout the O&O group within ViacomCBS Digital and our brands.
The Director must understand the service groups and ViacomCBS brand digital groups from a strategic, functional, and technical perspective, in order to provide an integrated full-service solution to the end consumer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the successful delivery and timeliness of projects and ops in Shared Services
• Use Scrum and other Agile approaches to facilitate cross-team delivery and empower teams
• Work with Product and Engineering management to reveal and manage dependencies
• Directly lead and mentor program management staff and conduct/chip in to performance evaluations, where appropriate
• Collaborate with Content Systems and Services Lead to create and propagate processes for tracking delivery across multiple projects and services
• Account for the accuracy of sizing and scope of individual projects or programs
• Ensure change control and risk mitigation processes are established and overseen
• Communicate project and ops information to PMO Lead, executive management, directors, and other key personnel
• Coordinate participation of different technology and business groups in roadmap planning, requirements gathering, specifications, design, development and deployment of key projects and ops
• Collaborate with PMO Leads in setting up framework for cross- team communication, coordination of integration among components, and provide related governance
• Handle projects and interdependencies to ensure milestone adherence and integrity of the release
• Work closely with Program Managers, and Project Managers to coordinate releases across multiple technology teams, from inception to delivery to consumer
• Coordinate release content and effort based on a request backlog and roadmap
• Plan and implement strict, regular release cycles/integration windows for both the O&O and Shared Services team
• Collaborate with PMO Leadership to run resource capacity of component team(s)
• Ensure all release communications and release notes are standardized and communicated
• Work with Engineering management to improve the software engineering processes associated with continuously building, deploying, and updating software
• Ability to manage multiple initiatives concurrently
• Work independently with Digital and ViacomCBS technology groups under guidance from PMO leadership
• Review and approve staff, contract, and freelancer timesheets (when applicable)
• Frequently get along with a diverse group of executives, managers, technology, and business sponsors
• At least 10 years of experience in release and/or program/project management
• Certified ScrumMaster certification (and other Agile certifications) very highly desirable
• Ability to understand technologies applicable to assigned product or service area and facilitate resolution of technical needs as they arise
• Comfortable leading business and technology in vetting technical options
• Advanced knowledge of Scrum and other Agile frameworks and software engineering practices, as well as traditional project management approaches
• The drive and determination to personally see things through to completion
• Ability to create trust, and to motivate
• Having assembled and led great teams (with direct reports)
• Working with and managing cross functional resources and vendors
• Strong leadership skills
• Superb written and verbal communications, presentation skills, and meeting facilitation skills
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent, minimum.
• Working in a media technology environment as a Program Director
• Mentoring release/project/program management staff
• Working with software developers, technical and business management, department heads, product developers and QA specialists (includes local and distributed teams)
• Media Technologies including: mobile applications, web sites, video delivery, ad delivery, content management systems, and streaming live events and how they integrate into existing technologies
• Producing advanced reports in Jira, Excel and other reporting tools
• Ability to create and deliver executive-level summary reports and presentations