Coordinator, Music and Media Licensing
Full Time Job
Coordinator, Music and Media Licensing, Comedy Central
The Coordinator will be responsible for negotiating favorable rates and securing rights for material (music and other media) across all Viacom Media Networks (VMN) programming and projects. The ideal candidate will be able to accurately analyze contract and license agreements, draw conclusions from working knowledge of issues that impact the area of rights licensing including copyright & trademark law and union/guild issues. This position will report to the VP, Music and Media Licensing Business and Legal Affairs in Hollywood, CA.
The department supports Comedy Central, Paramount Network, TV Land and Awesomeness TV. This role's responsibilites will primarily focus on Comedy Central.
• Work closely and communicate regularly with production, production management, music supervisors, and within the business and legal affairs department.
• Act as project leader to finalize, record, and track rights information and all aspects related to licensing, including but not limited to drafting licenses and payment processing
• Work with multiple clearance teams on projects including long and short form programming for linear and digital platforms, promos, third party productions, in house productions, re-clearances and more
• Facilitate clearance requests by working closely with content producers in researching copyright ownership and by researching rights to pre-existing VMN material as necessary
• Negotiate licenses and permissions with copyright owners of music, film, TV, video games, digital content, books, magazines, record label content, artist management, etc.
• Track and process all payments
• Collect and review cue sheets for all programming
• License in rights that cover exhibition across multiple platforms including linear, digital, social media, mobile, apps, games etc.
• Guide and advise third party productions while enforcing VMN’s policies throughout the production
• Receive, review and approve all deliverables including license agreements, guest releases, cue sheets, etc.
• Participate in workshops for client groups while building and fostering good working relationships within Viacom Media Networks and the licensing community as a whole
• Collect deliverables, including guest/location agreements, license agreements and talent agreements when applicable
• Report discrepancies or missing information to Producers and follow up to insure proper completion
• Regularly report clearance costs to Production and Production Management via tracking grids and over the phone/via email
• Proactively suggest cost-saving options and alternatives
• Vet content prior to posting (which may entail multiple screeners per program as show changes during the editing process) to ensure necessary clearances are in place and route to VMN attorneys when necessary
• Review releases and agreements to ensure that they conform to negotiated terms
• Maintain contract files and tracking reports for all assigned programs/projects and ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner
• Secure and approve music cue sheets and show logs (if required) from in-house producers and/or third party productions
• 1 years of experience in television, music and entertainment field
• BA in Television, Film, Communications, Publishing, Business or equivalent experience
• Experience in a business affairs, rights & clearances, or licensing capacity
• Working knowledge of legal concepts related to licensing, including the ability to read and analyze license agreements
• Expertise in licensing for all types of media platforms
• Comprehensive understanding of music rights
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations, e.g. budgeting, tracking reports, controlled portions of compositions/fees
• Established relationships within the licensing community
• Strong presentation skills
• Effective negotiator
• Excellent interpersonal skills to supervise and develop staff, e.g. must be able to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints
• Comprehensive analytical skills
• Strong interest and appreciation of comedy