Full Time Job
ViacomCBS Networks International,(VCNI) a unit of ViacomCBS Inc., is comprised of many of the world's most iconic consumer brands. Its portfolio includes Network 10, Channel 5, Telefe, Viacom 18, ViacomCBS International Studios, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount Network and Pluto TV among others. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, we provide powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions for partners on five continents and across more than 180 countries.
Who You Are!
There are lots of people here doing all sorts of jobs and we believe that having all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds, makes this a great place to work! We work hard but in a fun environment and seek to nurture the best possible, inclusive environment. If you're passionate about working with diverse teams, leading by example and simply being you at work, this is the place for you!
WHAT IS THE ROLE
Channel 5’s Content Legal department currently has a vacancy for an additional Content Lawyer or Senior Broadcast Content Advisor with considerable experience in legal/regulatory programme compliance issues to work on Channel 5’s commissioned content. The role includes:
• Programme and Online content legal and regulatory advice including the Ofcom Broadcasting Code pre- and post-broadcast and online.
• Advice on child protection and contributor duty of care, commercial references in programmes and teleshopping, sponsorship, product placement, broadcast competitions, election broadcasting and other matters that arise from time to time.
• Giving advice on editorial ethics affecting programmes and online content.
• Managing reviews into programme and online content issues pre-and post-broadcast.
• Handling and drafting responses to complaints and regulatory investigations including Ofcom standards or fairness and privacy complaints.
• Reviewing policies, guidelines and protocols for the management of programmes.
• Attending and advising at recordings, and live and ‘as- live’ programmes
• Training internal staff and production companies on legal and compliance issues affecting programme and online content
• Pre- and post-litigation management including instructing counsel and external solicitors.
• Liaising and working closely with commissioners, production companies, press, programme management, business affairs, creatives, marketing and management.
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED
• Ideally you will be a Content Lawyer or senior broadcast Content Advisor with considerable experience of legal/regulatory compliance issues as they relate to broadcast programmes.
• In-depth understanding of media law and regulation including defamation, contempt, privacy, copyright, data protection and the Ofcom Broadcasting Code and Guidance
• Experience of advising pre- and post-broadcast on media law and regulation in relation to programmes and/or online and/or other media content
• Experience of media litigation – defendant and/or claimant work
• Experience of drafting/reviewing programme protocols, guidance notes, contributor contracts/releases and access agreements
• Skilled communicator at all levels regarding legal and compliance issues
• Creative problem solving skills with strong and good judgement in evaluating legal and editorial issues
• A passion for freedom of expression
• To be a committed teammate with an ability to work efficiently under pressure and to tight deadlines
• An ability to learn quickly and to apply new findings to a real practical scenario.
• A good listener, willing to seek all details and ask the right questions, before approaching matters in a practical and analytical way.
• Attention to detail and confidence in handling strict deadlines and providing an excellent service to key partners around the business.
• An approachable, professional persona and ability to collaborate easily in a friendly and lively environment!